Real-life Superheroes: 10 People with Incredible Abilities

• Thread starter Ivan Seeking
  • Start date
In summary: Most of these look fine, and I know that some of them are, but "The Magnetic Man" clearly defies belief and lacks even good anecdotal evidence.People with amazing abilities actually do exist in real life; here's a list of 10 of the most amazing of these people! 1. The Magnetic Man - This person can defy all laws of physics by moving objects with their mind.2. Tammet - This British man has an IQ of 2,000 and can solve mathematical problems in seconds that other people take hours to figure out.3. Howard Hughes - This man was diagnosed with autism at a young age, but was able to achieve incredible success in business despite his disability.
Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
With so many superhero movies around, such as Spiderman or Hulk, we are used to see people with special abilities in fiction. But people with amazing abilities actually do exist in real life; here's a list of 10 of the most amazing of these people! [continued with videos]
http://www.oddee.com/item_91848.aspx

Physics news on Phys.org
Most of these look fine, and I know that some of them are, but "The Magnetic Man" clearly defies belief and lacks even good anecdotal evidence.

I'm trying to imagine poor #10 on his night patrol coming upon a bank robbery...

It is an evolutionary imperative :)

click said:
It is an evolutionary imperative :)

you made me want to have a laugh at this.
echo location?
savants can't forget or block out any other external stimulation so they remember everything even like how the paper clip across the room was facing.
you can react faster to sounds than through your eyes. your brain doesn't have to process the image.
read the rest
shure these things might happen
but how has evolution made us use this traits to our advantage
and it was such an advantage how come more humans "evolved"
i think these are just oddities
nothing more
nothing can be reproduced without some mistakes

I'm nominating 'King Tooth' for a golden buffalo. Moving 297 tons without trickery is physiologically impossible.

ben328i said:
you made me want to have a laugh at this.
Surely you're not laughing derisively are you?

This is a celebration of the potential of the human mind. I may not be able to do incredible calculations like a savant can, but the mere fact that the human brain can do such things means that it may be possible to unlock these talents for our descendants, given enough time and research.

OK, maybe the tooth-pulling thing, not so much...

Chronos said:
I'm nominating 'King Tooth' for a golden buffalo. Moving 297 tons without trickery is physiologically impossible.
Not necessarily - it's not the mass but the friction that matters. It's easy to move a 10m class telescope structure by hand.

Britain had a long distance transport system 200years ago where 1Hp motors moved 80ton canal boats very efficiently.

I would totally agree with Their number one, Tammet is one of the best brains in the world. I was so impressed when i watched the doc on him i uploaded the best bit; http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=4BxhYPKXXnQ

I have been watching lots of Channel four's 'extraordinary people' series, and there are lots of amazing people with weid abilities all over the world. Every generation has their fair share of useful random mutations, I suppose. In particular are two i can recall, an artist in turkey with no eyes, who paints art better than I could, in perspective, in color and everything; http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=L3AgO6H0H98

Also another one is the Human Calculator Rudiger Gamm, who can do any sort of maths questions. His brain works really weirdly, he stared to speak backwards before he spoke forwards, but not just roughly backwards, exactly backwards, if you were to play it in reverse it would sound exactly like normal. He can do nearly any calculation, and he can alter the algorithm he uses for each question, so he hasn't learned them off by heart. There are maths papers that say there is no such algoritm, but he seems to have invented one. http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=oqxhxIuEGRw

Last edited:
Ivan Seeking said:
Most of these look fine, and I know that some of them are, but "The Magnetic Man" clearly defies belief and lacks even good anecdotal evidence.

I have seen the guy on documentary show in Malaysia. He has been to a local university for perliminary examination. No magentic field was found around or on his body. So the scientist suggested skin conditions as possible explanation! :eek:

yenchin said:
I have seen the guy on documentary show in Malaysia. He has been to a local university for perliminary examination. No magentic field was found around or on his body. So the scientist suggested skin conditions as possible explanation! :eek:

According to what source? There is plenty of nonsense on TV shows.

Ivan Seeking said:
There is plenty of nonsense on TV shows.
What?

How can you make such unfounded claims? Defend it or retract it.

:biggrin:

Ivan Seeking said:
According to what source? There is plenty of nonsense on TV shows.

It's a documentary show called "http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Majalah_Tiga" [Broken]". Of course there are plenty of nonsense shows, but this is not one of them (it can be boring at times due to its seriousness...).

Last edited by a moderator:
Last edited by a moderator:
The guy who doesn't need to sleep has an awesome advantage. The minor liver problem was probably from the alcohol. :eek:

You could take day job and night job and have double income :approve:

I don't know about that echolocation kid. At least, the one I saw on Oprah, made up this thing about how other things that emit sounds he can use their sound waves to "see." Sorry kid, but echolocation doesn't work that way.

Mk said:
I don't know about that echolocation kid. At least, the one I saw on Oprah, made up this thing about how other things that emit sounds he can use their sound waves to "see." Sorry kid, but echolocation doesn't work that way.
While it may not be called echolocation, it's still a potentially valid way of navigating.

Kid might just be sloppy in naming it.

So the french guy ate a Cessna 150?

-Job- said:
So the french guy ate a Cessna 150?

I hear that the wings are finger-licking good.

Ivan Seeking said:
I hear that the wings are finger-licking good.
I always tell them "no wing". I'm willing to pay extra for a fuselage or tail section.

Chronos said:

Pulling trains is a pretty common event at "strongest man" competitions (trucks are even more common) so it is certainly possible as long as you accelerate very slowly and the friction is low enough.
But the "normal" way is to attacht the rope to a harness.

1. What is a real-life superhero?

A real-life superhero is an ordinary person who has extraordinary abilities or uses their skills to help others and make a positive impact in their community. They often dress up in costumes and adopt aliases to protect their identity while performing acts of heroism.

2. What are some examples of incredible abilities possessed by real-life superheroes?

Some examples of incredible abilities possessed by real-life superheroes include exceptional physical strength, agility, and endurance; advanced martial arts skills; heightened senses; and exceptional intelligence or technological skills.

3. How do real-life superheroes use their abilities to make a difference?

Real-life superheroes use their abilities to make a difference by performing acts of heroism such as patrolling the streets to prevent crime, providing aid to the homeless or those in need, and raising awareness for important causes. They also serve as role models and inspire others to make positive changes in their own communities.

4. Are real-life superheroes considered to be vigilantes?

The term "vigilante" can have negative connotations and is often associated with unlawful or violent actions. While some real-life superheroes may carry out acts that could be considered vigilantism, most operate within the boundaries of the law and prioritize non-violent intervention and community service.

5. How can someone become a real-life superhero?

Becoming a real-life superhero is a personal choice and there is no set path to follow. Some people may already possess extraordinary abilities and choose to use them for the greater good, while others may take on specific training or develop unique skills to become a superhero. Ultimately, anyone can become a real-life superhero by finding ways to use their strengths and resources to help others and make a positive impact in their community.