Frequency Spectrum of a Real Sine Wave

In summary, the conversation discusses a lab where an RF signal generator was connected to a spectrum analyzer, resulting in the measurement of a signal that was not a perfect sine wave. This is due to the limitations of the signal generator and the spectrum analyzer, which cause the signal to have higher frequency components and a rounded profile. The conversation also mentions the importance of understanding frequency response and FFT in analyzing signals.
xcvxcvvc
Hi. I'm doing a lab where we hooked up an RF signal generator at 1.25MHz/10dBm to a spectrum analyzer using a 50 ohm wire.

Can anyone explain to me or link me to a place where I can read about why a real sine wave's frequency spectrum is not a pulse? Also, why would with a sweep from 1 Mhz to 4 Mhz the SA show three sine waves separated by multiples of the frequency of the intended sine wave(~-10dBw @ 1.25, ~-66 dBw @ 2.5, ~-87 dBw @ 3.75)? Would there also be lowered amplitude frequencies to the left of the intended frequency?

I'm pretty confused, because I haven't taken the signals and systems class that stresses frequency response, FFT, and so on. Also, I have no idea how this hardware works. I just want an informed lab report!

Physics news on Phys.org
xcvxcvvc said:
Can anyone explain to me or link me to a place where I can read about why a real sine wave's frequency spectrum is not a pulse?

Because you didn't measure a sine wave and cannot do so, not even in principle. Measuring a sine wave would require doing the measurement *forever* i.e. infinitely into the past and into the future. This is another way of saying that an actual sine wave is infinite in the time domain and hence no real signal will be a sine wave. If you measure a sinusoidal signal over some finite time interval, what you are essentially measuring is a sine wave multiplied by a so called "top hat" or "rectangular" function (a step function that is equal to 0 everywhere outside the time interval measured and equal to 1 inside that time interval). The abrupt change at either end of the time interval introduces (a whole continuum of) higher frequency components. Another way of looking at it: this signal is clearly aperiodic, hence it doesn't have a single frequency. When you do your signals and systems course, you'll learn more about how to figure out what the Fourier transform of the resulting signal would look like. If you're curious, look up the 'multiplication property' of the Fourier transform. The punchline is that a multiplication of two signals in the time domain, when Fourier transformed, will result in a convolution of the individual Fourier transforms of those two signals in the frequency domain. What shape or profile did the output of the spectrum analyzer have?

I'm not sure why you're seeing those higher frequency harmonics. I wonder if it's some sampling or aliasing issue.

xcvxcvvc said:
Hi. I'm doing a lab where we hooked up an RF signal generator at 1.25MHz/10dBm to a spectrum analyzer using a 50 ohm wire.

Can anyone explain to me or link me to a place where I can read about why a real sine wave's frequency spectrum is not a pulse? Also, why would with a sweep from 1 Mhz to 4 Mhz the SA show three sine waves separated by multiples of the frequency of the intended sine wave(~-10dBw @ 1.25, ~-66 dBw @ 2.5, ~-87 dBw @ 3.75)? Would there also be lowered amplitude frequencies to the left of the intended frequency?

I'm pretty confused, because I haven't taken the signals and systems class that stresses frequency response, FFT, and so on. Also, I have no idea how this hardware works. I just want an informed lab report!

The actual signal from the sig gen isn't perfectly narrow in frequency - the reality is that all sig gens have rounded response rather than a perfect spike.

Even an expensive sig gen isn't spectrally pure - there are always some sidebands or harmonics which is what you are seeing. If you dig up the sig gen's data sheet, you'll likely see specs defining how big these sidebands can be and likely (if calibrated and working properly) the values you are seeing are below those spec's.

If the spectrum analyzer can't measure down to those specs you might not see that however. Assuming otherwise above.

There are also artifacts that can be caused by the way swept-tuned spectrum analyzers or FFT-based analyzers work that spread the otherwise impulse-like frequency spurs to look more rounded. This is usually caused by sweeping too fast relative to the resolution bandwidth - generally using the automatic modes avoid this. Don't go to manual settings on the spectrum analyzer without knowing how. Agilent has a Fundamentals of Spectrum Analysis application note that goes into every you need to know about this. Highly recommended.

Thanks, guys. I think I turned in a decent report. I talked mainly about the SG's inability to produce perfect sine waves(evidenced by the harmonics spotted) and about how the filter resolution also probably widened the pulse.

Hi there,

The frequency spectrum of a real sine wave is not a pulse because a real sine wave is a continuous signal with no sharp edges or discontinuities. In order for a signal to have a pulse shape, it would need to have a sudden change in amplitude or phase, which is not the case for a sine wave.

The reason why the spectrum analyzer is showing multiple sine waves separated by multiples of the intended frequency is due to a phenomenon called harmonics. When a signal is generated at a certain frequency, it can also generate energy at integer multiples of that frequency. These are known as harmonics. In your case, the fundamental frequency is 1.25MHz, and the harmonics are at 2.5MHz and 3.75MHz. This is why you are seeing three sine waves on the spectrum analyzer.

There may also be lowered amplitude frequencies to the left of the intended frequency, as harmonics can also be generated at lower frequencies. However, they may not be as noticeable as the harmonics at higher frequencies.

I would recommend reading up on Fourier analysis and the concept of harmonics to better understand the frequency spectrum of a real sine wave. Additionally, learning about the hardware you are using, such as the spectrum analyzer, can also help you understand how the signals are being measured and displayed.

I hope this helps with your lab report. Best of luck!

1. What is the frequency spectrum of a real sine wave?

The frequency spectrum of a real sine wave is a plot that shows the amplitude and frequency components of the wave. It is a representation of how the signal is made up of different frequencies.

2. How is the frequency spectrum of a real sine wave calculated?

The frequency spectrum of a real sine wave can be calculated using a mathematical technique called a Fourier transform. This converts the signal from the time domain to the frequency domain, allowing the different frequencies to be identified and plotted.

3. What is the significance of the frequency spectrum of a real sine wave?

The frequency spectrum of a real sine wave is important because it can reveal information about the characteristics of the signal, such as its frequency content and any harmonics present. It is also used in various fields, such as signal processing, telecommunications, and audio engineering.

4. How does the frequency spectrum of a real sine wave change with different parameters?

The frequency spectrum of a real sine wave will change depending on the amplitude, frequency, and phase of the wave. Increasing the amplitude will result in a higher peak on the spectrum, while changing the frequency or phase will shift the location of the peak.

5. Can the frequency spectrum of a real sine wave be used to identify the wave's exact parameters?

Yes, the frequency spectrum of a real sine wave can be used to determine the exact parameters of the wave such as its frequency, amplitude, and phase. This is done by analyzing the peaks on the spectrum and their corresponding frequencies and amplitudes.