A thought experiment for surpassing the speed of light

In summary: People seem to be misunderstanding the concept of elasticity and inelasticity. A material is inelastic if it can't be compressed (like a spring), while a material is elastic if it can be compressed (like a rubber band). A material is said to be inelastic if it can't be made any shorter without breaking. The rod is inelastic, meaning that it can't be made any shorter without breaking.
k4ff3
You have a straight, light, hard, inelastic rod at hand. It's pretty long, long enough so that you can hold it out of your window and into your friends window at the other side of the street.

The way you and your friend communicate is through morse code. You move the rod a distance x so that it hits your friend's wall and makes a sound. *Bump--BumpBump-Bump* The morse code is easily heard and interpreted.

Extrapolate.

Make your rod reach from your house to another galaxy, and place your friend there. Continue communicating as usual. Will the information now travel faster than the speed of light?

Physics news on Phys.org
This is a known thought experiment, but I have never heard an answer for it.

My answer would simply be Yes. It doesn't actually travel there however.

No. The information will travel along the rod at the speed of sound in the material. For most solids the speed of sound between 1 and 10 km per second, which is much slower than the speed of light.

k4ff3 said:
You have a straight, light, hard, inelastic rod at hand. It's pretty long, long enough so that you can hold it out of your window and into your friends window at the other side of the street.

The way you and your friend communicate is through morse code. You move the rod a distance x so that it hits your friend's wall and makes a sound. *Bump--BumpBump-Bump* The morse code is easily heard and interpreted.

Extrapolate.

Make your rod reach from your house to another galaxy, and place your friend there. Continue communicating as usual. Will the information now travel faster than the speed of light?

No, because there is no such thing as a perfectly inelastic material. The force of pushing one end will propagate at the speed of sound through the material to the other end.

Doc-Al: Sorry, I did not know that.

However, it seems like the you overlook the fact that the rod is inelastic. The same thing goes for the answers in the thread you linked to.

And even if the rod was elastic, I do not buy your answer that the information/displacement will propagate as a wave pulse with the speed of sound in the medium. I am displacing the whole rod, so that the displacement is much higher that the wavelength of the pulse induced.

k4ff3 said:

However, it seems like the you overlook the fact that the rod is inelastic. The same thing goes for the answers in the thread you linked to.

And even if the rod was elastic, I do not buy your answer that the information/displacement will propagate as a wave pulse with the speed of sound in the medium. I am displacing the whole rod, so that the displacement is much higher that the wavelength of the pulse induced.

Nobody is overlooking anything. Your question has been answered.

k4ff3 said:

Er.. hello? What do you think holds the material that make up the rod?

If you've learned any amount of solid state physics, you'd know that these are linked by various types of BONDS, and they interact with the lattice ions via electromagnetic interactions! Light is a form of electromagnetic interaction! This means that anything done to the rod can't transmit something faster than what light can do!

Zz.

1. What is a thought experiment for surpassing the speed of light?

A thought experiment for surpassing the speed of light is a hypothetical scenario where scientists use their imagination and knowledge of physics to explore what would happen if an object were to travel faster than the speed of light.

2. Is it possible to surpass the speed of light?

According to Einstein's theory of relativity, it is not possible for an object with mass to travel at or faster than the speed of light. The speed of light, which is about 186,282 miles per second, is considered to be the absolute speed limit for anything in the universe.

3. Why is it important to study thought experiments for surpassing the speed of light?

Studying thought experiments for surpassing the speed of light can help scientists gain a better understanding of the fundamental laws of physics and the limitations of our universe. It can also lead to new insights and discoveries in the field of theoretical physics.

4. What are some potential consequences of surpassing the speed of light?

If it were possible to surpass the speed of light, it would fundamentally change our understanding of space and time. The laws of physics as we know them would no longer apply, and it could potentially open up the possibility for time travel and other sci-fi concepts.

5. Are there any theories or experiments that suggest the speed of light can be surpassed?

Currently, there are no scientific theories or experiments that suggest the speed of light can be surpassed. However, there are ongoing studies and experiments being conducted, such as the Large Hadron Collider, that aim to push the boundaries of our understanding of physics and potentially challenge the laws of relativity.