What's your favorite calculator?

• Calculators
  • Thread starter ArcanaNoir
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Calculator
In summary, the best calculator is the TI-89 Titanium because it has on-board unti-aware calculation and symbolic differentiation/integration. It is also reliable and cost effective. The HP-48SX was a close second, and the Casio ClassPad was a favorite for its 2D math feature.
ArcanaNoir
What's your favorite calculator and why?

Computer science news on Phys.org
[PLAIN]http://lh3.googleusercontent.com/public/39rJvE1sIWQYuswLuw2fd-iuHRJVLwlFDF-AVJiToaPf2_8tvW7B4H3quDqig44_A9CtZQjffI5BEXChlh6u5D5dKgrQh-0Gq6NYGgtTA7_DsLUXDp-v5AWeZARzPvMkV5Sm4lFgYRF2VNtGqgzKtl3tbzipDbBxr2v3PRPZE0ktUSxMsu4raA

I've used that calculator since middle school. I actually don't use calculators in my math courses anymore, but it works just fine for my other science needs.

Last edited by a moderator:
I bought a Sharp Scientific calculator when I started college decades ago. I moved up to programmable types, various HPs with the reverse Polish notation, and fancy graphing ones.

Now at work I use the very same Sharp I bought so long ago...sigh, first love :!).

el509a-1.jpg

Nearly all the math I do now doesn't involve numbers.

My good old circa 1997 TI-89 is always close at hand. On-board unti-aware calculation and symbolic differentiation/integration is a must! Anything more complex than that, and I make a MathCAD sheet.

TI-89.jpg

TI-89 here as well.

Mech_Engineer said:
My good old circa 1997 TI-89 is always close at hand. On-board unti-aware calculation and symbolic differentiation/integration is a must! Anything more complex than that, and I make a MathCAD sheet.

You'd think they'd have improved these in the last decade... Where's my backlit screen? Come ON... Features people! It's time for features!

ArcanaNoir said:
You'd think they'd have improved these in the last decade... Where's my backlit screen? Come ON... Features people! It's time for features!

In all fairness, I would prefer something reliable with a HUGE battery life. Back-lighting comes at a price.

I am a pretty big fan of this little gem as well (as I see most here are):
k04v1d.jpg

I hear that the HP's are much better if you can adjust to the "RPN" format (whatever that is). Perhaps I will try it out one day, but as a poor student, I chose to stick with what is reliable and cost effective. My older 89 (from like 1999 or something) broke, and I find that this newer model, though a bit thicker, is much faster at calculations and graphing. It doesn't need to "think" nearly as long.

My feelings about the TI-89 Titanium:

vlcsnap-315212.jpg

Likes CalcNerd
I'll always have a soft spot in my heart for my very first calculator - an HP35 I purchased in 1973 for $395. That was a huge amount of money back then but well worth it.

Attachments

• HP35.jpg
    HP35.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 663
I was sorely tempted to post a photo of a Curta mechanical calculator. I'd love to get the chance to play with one of those.

I'm currently quite fond of my TI-84 PSE. Its feet have started falling off, but I'm not one to judge. :biggrin:

At work (school) I use a TI-84 because most of our students have something similar, and I can show them how to do stuff on it. But I'm really an HP fan, ever since the HP-21 that I bought 36 years ago when I started grad school. On the desk next to me right now, at home, is an HP-11C that I bought probably about 25 years ago. It's still going strong, and I use it for all my calculations at home.

11c.jpg

my first HP calculator when i went to engineering school was the HP-15C (looks like the 11C above). one of the things i really liked about it was the programming was simple, just a recording of keystrokes. my next, was the HP-48SX, but i never really did get into any expansion or programming with it, beyond simple one-off programs. so the same love wasn't quite there with the 48, despite higher utility. i think if it had been about 10X faster and came shipped with a serial cable and software i would have bonded better with it.

The best calculator ever!
brain-763982-1.jpg

I like the TI-89s but really I rarely use it and when I do I could just use the one that I have downloaded onto my computer.

The calculator I use all the time is a casio fx-991MS

http://www.99shoppe.com/99shoppe/components/com_virtuemart/shop_image/product/Casio_fx_991MS_S_49085b1957c7f.jpg

I can do everything I need to on it and what made me originally love it was that it solves any polynomial. In grade 11 and 12 it saved my butt a couple times when I was using it to check my final answers (is that cheating?? haha)

I'm really happy with my Casio ClassPad. The 2D math feature is so user friendly. I so wish the screen was brighter though.
2zjlw5k.jpg

I have TI-84 Plus now, I think it's awesome, before i had TI-82 and
I don't see much of a different exept faster CPU in TI-84.

No symbolic integrals and equation solver but that's always more easy to do by hand i think.

Proton Soup said:
my first HP calculator when i went to engineering school was the HP-15C (looks like the 11C above).

I considered the 15C, but I finally decided that for the kinds of calculations I did (and still do), complex numbers, matrices, and numerical integration weren't worth the higher price, so I went with the 11C.

Last summer I found a good deal on a HP 50g at Best Buy and bought one, but I haven't really had the time to teach myself how to use it effectively yet. The 11C is still my workhorse at home.

I have open office and use the calc built into the software when using the spreadsheet function

Jaynte said:
No symbolic integrals and equation solver but that's always more easy to do by hand i think.

You're only saying that because you haven't tried it. :-p

Real men don't use calculators.

Jack21222 said:
You're only saying that because you haven't tried it. :-p

Hehe, I have tried it, just like using a pen :)

qspeechc said:
Real men don't use calculators.

You're right. Real men don't do maths at all, in fact. Real men play rugby, lift weights, and dig ditches for a living. Or work construction, where they eyeball their measurements.

That's what I think of when I hear the term "real men" anyway. I don't think of some nerd in his basement with a table of integrals looking things up manually. :-p

hotvette said:
I'll always have a soft spot in my heart for my very first calculator - an HP35 I purchased in 1973 for $395. That was a huge amount of money back then but well worth it.

I have my dad's HP35. It still works, but the switch is a little dodgy, so it can turn off unexpectedly.

My favorite calculator is the Post 1460 Versalog (embedding the pictures is a little obnoxious since the picture has to big enough to see the scales).

http://www.sphere.bc.ca/test/ted/p-1460versalogvariant1a.jpg

http://www.sphere.bc.ca/test/ted/p-1460versalogvariant1aback.jpg

Has more capabilities than the standard scientific calculator. It can handle complex numbers, solve quadratic equations, convert from polar/spherical coordinates to Cartesian coordinates, among other things.

But, if you want a sub-$20 scientific calculator with symbolic notation, the Casio fx-300ES is the way to go:

[PLAIN]http://www.casio.com/resource/images/large/fx-300es_large.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I had been using a Casio fx-560 for the last 30 years without needing anything else. In fact, I haven't used most of its functions. However, recently I had need of a graphing calculator and my daughter got a TI-84+ from a friend. I like that one too.

Many of you guys talk about using the graphing calculators for school... were you guys able to use them during tests/exams? It's always been a condition since high school that no graphing calculators were to be used during tests/exams. Even through college/university physics and math (chemistry they didn't care same with a few other courses but that's because you're just really doing simple math so the graphing calculator gives no advantage really)

Mind you I haven't taken upper level maths or physics yet so maybe that'll change.

zomgwtf said:
Many of you guys talk about using the graphing calculators for school... were you guys able to use them during tests/exams? It's always been a condition since high school that no graphing calculators were to be used during tests/exams. Even through college/university physics and math (chemistry they didn't care same with a few other courses but that's because you're just really doing simple math so the graphing calculator gives no advantage really)

Mind you I haven't taken upper level maths or physics yet so maybe that'll change.

My Calc I & II professor didn't allow any calculators on exams. I don't really see how they would've helped on his tests anyways; he was heavy into theory and concepts, not computation. If there was some number-crunching to be done, the arithmetic was made simple enough to do by hand. He stated, "I don't care about your number-crunching skills. I want to know whether or not you understand the Calculus."

zomgwtf said:

Funny thing is that most of the students don't know how to use their graphing calculators well enough for it to give them much advantage over a standard scientific calculator.

Most of the students in physics classes haven't even realized that most of the constants they need are already built into their calculators, let alone that they can program in any of the less frequently used constants that they could store in their calculators themselves.

The only thing my university seems to worry about is the ability to differentiate, hence Calculus I tests cannot be taken with the TI-89. From Calc II and up, they don't seem to care what you use though (the TI-84 can find definite integrals, but not indefinite or differentials).

The major reason I like the 89 over the 84, is not for it's derivatives or integrals or anything like that though. It's simply because you can just arrow over and start typing (as you can on a computer) to edit equations. It also keeps all your past intermediate values that you can simply copy. I don't understand why the TI-84 does not have this feature. It's a pain to re-type intermediate values, and to press insert every time you want to add something. I also really like the custom menu system on the 89 and the Matrix Editor app that it ships with. It's much easier to just input rref([x x x],[x x x],[x x x]) than it is to bother typing all that stuff into the 84.

BobG said:
Funny thing is that most of the students don't know how to use their graphing calculators well enough for it to give them much advantage over a standard scientific calculator.

I made learning to use my calculator effectively a part of my homework. When I would do a problem set, I would consult my calculator manual to see what my calculator could do that was relevant to expediting the problem and confirming my answer. I always had to show all my work anyway, so it really was mostly to confirm answers.

1282676473_22gu91.jpg

:smile:

ArcanaNoir said:
I made learning to use my calculator effectively a part of my homework. When I would do a problem set, I would consult my calculator manual to see what my calculator could do that was relevant to expediting the problem and confirming my answer. I always had to show all my work anyway, so it really was mostly to confirm answers.

Yeah, same basically. They really are invaluable tools for checking answers. As I said above my calculator has saved my butt on numerous occasions.

@Quark, I'm sure there's a program that you can install to have your 84/89 do differentials. I mean on mine I downloaded games even! There was also this nifty program that solved some physics problems you just had to know which equation to use and it would show ALL the steps.

jtbell said:
I considered the 15C, but I finally decided that for the kinds of calculations I did (and still do), complex numbers, matrices, and numerical integration weren't worth the higher price, so I went with the 11C.

Last summer I found a good deal on a HP 50g at Best Buy and bought one, but I haven't really had the time to teach myself how to use it effectively yet. The 11C is still my workhorse at home.

mine was paid for with a small scholarship. otherwise, the high school TI would have gotten a lot more mileage.