When is Happy Pi Day for Europeans?

• Thread starter Char. Limit
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Pi
In summary, the conversation discusses the celebration of Pi Day and the various ways in which people are celebrating it, such as baking pies and wearing themed clothing. There is also mention of other mathematical constants and jokes related to pi. Some people are unable to celebrate Pi Day on March 14th due to the way dates are written in different countries.
Char. Limit
Gold Member
Happy Pi Day everyone!

potd_pi-pie.jpg

Happy Pi day, everyone!

Europeans, sorry, but you're going to have to wait till July...

Physics news on Phys.org

I thought Pi Day occurred back in 1592.

Here in Europe, we need to wait till 3rd January of 4159 :(

And a very happy Pi Day to you as well! I am going to bake a pecan pie for the occasion. Math and dessert, what could be a better combination? :P

Happy Pi day Char!

Yay!

WooWhoo! Let's celebrate, coffee and pie it is :)

I accidentally put on my "Math is delicious" t-shirt today without knowing it was Pi Day until someone said "oh ho what a clever shirt to wear today!"

If I were in St. Louis, I'd probably be eating here today.

That's irrational. :wink:

I'm waiting for √2 day. :biggrin:

Happy Pi Day to you too! I first read it as iDay, but it was probably just my imagination.

The functional argument of having PI day in the first place is a circular one. :wink:

Char. Limit said:
potd_pi-pie.jpg

Happy Pi day, everyone!

Europeans, sorry, but you're going to have to wait till July...

Blasphemy. That image is clearly more representative of 2pi day. The labeling on the pie must be incorrect.

Happy Birthday Albert!

Happy half-tau day people.

1. What is Pi Day?

Pi Day is an annual celebration of the mathematical constant π (pi), observed on March 14th (3/14) in the month/day format. Pi Day was first officially recognized in 2009, and has been celebrated around the world ever since.

2. Why is Pi Day celebrated on March 14th?

The date for Pi Day, March 14th, was chosen because it represents the first three digits of π (3.14). March 14th is also the birthday of renowned scientist and mathematician, Albert Einstein.

3. How is Pi Day celebrated?

Pi Day is celebrated in many different ways, including eating pie, reciting digits of pi, participating in math and science activities, and attending events and lectures related to pi and mathematics.

4. What is the significance of pi?

Pi is the ratio of a circle's circumference to its diameter and is a fundamental constant in mathematics. It is an irrational number, meaning it cannot be expressed as a fraction, and its decimal representation never ends or repeats. Pi has been studied and used by mathematicians for thousands of years and has countless applications in various fields of science and engineering.

5. Why is Pi Day important?

Pi Day is important because it promotes interest and enthusiasm for mathematics and science. It also celebrates the achievements of mathematicians and scientists throughout history and highlights the importance of pi in our daily lives and in understanding the world around us. Additionally, Pi Day can be a fun and educational way to engage with math and science concepts.