Magnitude of electric field at a point

In summary, to find the magnitude of the electric field at a point, you can use the equation E = Fel / q, where Fel is the force exerted on the charge q by the electric field. This is assuming that the point is not affected by any other sources of electric fields. If you are dealing with a point charge, you can also use the equation E = (k * abs(q)) / r^2 to find the electric field at a certain distance r from the charge.
Peewee

Homework Statement

A force of 5.7 N. is exerted on a 8.8 microCoulomb charge in a downward direction. What is the magnitude of the electric field (in N./C.) at this point?

Homework Equations

E = (kel * abs(q)) / r^2\
E = Fel / q

The Attempt at a Solution

8.8 microcoulombs --> 8.8e-6 Coulombs

At first I tried using:
E = (8.99x9)(8.8e-6) / r^2

But I didn't understand how I was supposed to find the radius. If it were a square, rectangle, triangle etc. and given some more information I could use trigonometry to determine the radius. The equation is for a point charge, though.

I then used E = Fel / q and simply plugged and chugged to get the right answer.

My question, though, is when do I use the E = Fel / q and when do I use the E = kq/r^2 equation?

Is the point charge for when two points are being compared to each other and the E = Fel/q is for one item?

Physics news on Phys.org
Peewee said:
My question, though, is when do I use the E = Fel / q and when do I use the E = kq/r^2 equation?
The first equation (Fel = Eq) is true in general--it relates the field to the force produced by that field on a particular charge. The second equation is for finding the field due to a point charge. (Which wasn't relevant here, as you were not given any information about the source of the field, only the force it produced on a given charge.)

1. What is the formula for calculating the magnitude of electric field at a point?

The formula for calculating the magnitude of electric field at a point is E = kQ/r^2, where E is the electric field, k is the Coulomb's constant (9 x 10^9 Nm^2/C^2), Q is the charge creating the field, and r is the distance from the point to the charge.

2. How is the direction of the electric field determined at a point?

The direction of the electric field at a point is determined by the direction of the force that a positive test charge would experience if placed at that point. The direction of the electric field is always away from positive charges and towards negative charges.

3. Can the magnitude of electric field be negative?

Yes, the magnitude of electric field can be negative. This means that the direction of the electric field is opposite to the direction of the force experienced by a positive test charge. It typically occurs when there are multiple charges creating the field and their effects cancel each other out.

4. How does the distance from a charge affect the magnitude of electric field at a point?

The magnitude of electric field at a point is inversely proportional to the square of the distance from the charge. This means that as the distance increases, the electric field decreases. In other words, the closer the point is to the charge, the stronger the electric field will be.

5. Can the magnitude of electric field at a point be greater than the electric field of the source charge?

Yes, the magnitude of electric field at a point can be greater than the electric field of the source charge. This can occur when there are multiple charges creating the field and their effects add together at a certain point. It can also occur if the source charge is not point-like, but has a larger surface area.