Why are geodesics parabolae on earth's surface?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of locally flat space-time and its connection to gravity. It explains that gravity can exist in flat space-time and that the curvature is related to tidal forces, not the gravity pull itself. The conversation also touches on the idea of geodesics and how they can appear to be curved when viewed in a 3-dimensional space-time. It concludes by clarifying the misconception that falling objects follow curved trajectories, when in fact it is the non-inertial reference frame that is curved.
bluekuma
It's a naive question, but I'm pretty sure my professor said that space-time is locally flat (and I'm pretty sure that the volume of my room counts as "locally").

That said, I would expect falling objects to follow straight trajectories, but that's obviously not the general case.

I thought this could be because straight lines in space-time can be curved when seen in space, but it doesn't seem possible when I try to make some calculations.

Why are geodesics parabolae on the surface of earth? Where am I getting something wrong?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
it rather comes from the principal of maximum proper time,it can be shown that path is parabola in this case because it maximizes the proper time.

bluekuma said:
It's a naive question, but I'm pretty sure my professor said that space-time is locally flat (and I'm pretty sure that the volume of my room counts as "locally").
This is correct. Gravity can exist in flat space-time. The local curvature is connected to tidal forces, not the gravity pull itself. And the tidal forces in your room are indeed negligible.

bluekuma said:
I thought this could be because straight lines in space-time can be curved when seen in space,
Exactly. But keep in mind that space-time is curved.

bluekuma said:
Why are geodesics parabolae on the surface of earth?
It is difficult to visualize the relationship for spatial parabolae, because they require 2-spatial dimensions. When you add time you have 3. Visualizing curved 3d spaces is difficult for humans. Better stick to a vertical fall, so you use only spatial dimension. Then you can visualize a distorted 2d-space time:

http://www.physics.ucla.edu/demoweb/demomanual/modern_physics/principal_of_equivalence_and_general_relativity/curved_time.gif
From: http://www.physics.ucla.edu/demoweb..._and_general_relativity/curved_spacetime.html

Note that this cone surface doesn't have intrinsic curvature. It represents a flat piece of space time, and yet produces gravity.

bluekuma said:

That said, I would expect falling objects to follow straight trajectories, but that's obviously not the general case.
That's because your room is stationary relative to the Earth. Suppose instead your room was falling freely under gravity, without air resistance. Then you would find any falling objects in your room would be following straight lines, relative to your room.

bluekuma said:

I thought this could be because straight lines in space-time can be curved when seen in space, but it doesn't seem possible when I try to make some calculations.

Why are geodesics parabolae on the surface of earth? Where am I getting something wrong?
If you put an accelerometer in your room you will find that your room is accelerating upwards at 1 g. So your room is a non-inertial reference frame, and so inertially moving objects will not go in a straight line. If you were to use an inertial frame which measures 0 g acceleration then you would find that a falling object would travel in a straight line at constant speed.

So, basically, it isn't the free falling object's path which is curved, it is the room's. So any coordinate system you attach to the room is curved and straight lines plotted on the curved coordinates look curved.

Last edited:
thanks a lot! that was a great help!

1. What is a geodesic on Earth's surface?

A geodesic is the shortest path between two points on Earth's surface, following the curvature of the planet.

2. Why are geodesics shaped like parabolae?

Geodesics on Earth's surface are shaped like parabolae due to the way gravity affects objects on a curved surface. The shortest distance between two points on a curved surface is along a curve known as a geodesic, which follows the shape of a parabola.

3. How does the shape of Earth's surface affect geodesics?

The curvature of Earth's surface, which is caused by its spherical shape, affects the path of geodesics. As objects travel along a geodesic, they are constantly pulled towards the center of the Earth due to gravity, causing the curve to follow the shape of a parabola.

4. Are geodesics always parabolae on Earth's surface?

Yes, geodesics are always parabolae on Earth's surface. This is because Earth's surface is a curved space, and the shortest distance between two points on a curved surface is along a curve known as a geodesic, which follows the shape of a parabola.

5. How are geodesics used in navigation and map-making?

Geodesics are used in navigation and map-making to determine the shortest distance between two points on Earth's surface. This is important for accurately creating maps and finding the most efficient routes for navigation.