What is this? Recognize it? Used for?

• Thread starter Bill Foster
  • Start date
In summary, this device was used by Chrysler to install bearings in car mufflers. It appears to be from the 1940's or 50's.
Bill Foster
http://www.stevenferris.com/whatisit.jpg

Anybody here recognize this? Does it have a name? What's it used for?

Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
It was used in physical therapy for certain kinds of injuries. You're welcome.

Actually, it looks more like it was designed to CAUSE injuries :smile:

I won't dispute your claim. But...HOW? And for what kinds of injuries?

"certain kinds"

Pengwuino said:
"certain kinds"

Ah, of course. It all makes sense now. thanks.

No wait, I see it now. It's a microscope focusing stand. I missed how light the beaded string was before. It has to actuate a light load with a light touch. You clamp a microscope stage in the C-clamp part, and can use the beaded string for focusing. That's my story and I'm sticking with it. For now.

That's what we are going to use to "fix" Phinds.

Drakkith said:
That's what we are going to use to "fix" Phinds.

Evo, it's either that or we get out the "unmentionable object".

This device was custom designed by the Acme Manufacturing Group for one of their most loyal customers. It was used to capture a kind of fast moving flightless bird. You can see the ingenious design and fine craftsmanship throughout. You simply attach catgut to the bow fitting it into the notches at the top and bottom. Then you insert yourself rigidly into the bowstring and stretch it taut. Pulling on the chain will release the tension in the catgut and propel you at great speed toward your target. If all goes well, you will be living large.

If all goes well, you will be living large
Or not living, period.

berkeman said:
No wait, I see it now. It's a microscope focusing stand. I missed how light the beaded string was before. It has to actuate a light load with a light touch. You clamp a microscope stage in the C-clamp part, and can use the beaded string for focusing. That's my story and I'm sticking with it. For now.

I'm skeptical.

The notches on the arms of the C clamp look like they're meant for something like string.

The arms looks like they're meant for holding something under tension. There's probably a spring inside the box providing the tension.

The chain releases the tension. The chain only works in one direction.

Beside, aren't microscopes focused with knobs?

Yours is an early version of the chatty jaw with some parts missing.
You pull the chain to simulate motion .

$(KGrHqRHJC4FCFPsthvLBQorQsjg9w~~60_57.jpg

drakkith said:
that's what we are going to use to "fix" phinds.

aaaaiiiieee !

phinds said:
aaaaiiiieee !

You knew this was coming Phinds.

I'll bet some 80 year old high school science teacher knows what it is.

OK now let's think about this...there are notches in each of the arms, like you could string something between them - like a rubber band?

lisab said:
OK now let's think about this...there are notches in each of the arms, like you could string something between them - like a rubber band?
Lol Lisab!

What the hell is that? This device seems so prosaic and useless, my hands would do whatever that 'thing' is suppose to do in no time... Unless it's a mesuring tool?.. No it's not..

WHAT THE HELL IS THAT THING! :grumpy:

Bill Foster said:
http://www.stevenferris.com/whatisit.jpg

Anybody here recognize this? Does it have a name? What's it used for?

Thanks.

I think it is for firing rubber bands. The are stretched by hand, latched, and the chain is a release. The giveaway are the little grooves for holding the bands. The kind of thing people do for fun in a bar. There is probably a target, bets are laid, etc.

Last edited by a moderator:
It was used by Chrysler to install bearings in car mufflers.

Seriously it looks like it was used to lift something someone didn't want to touch. Ok so that is going to get some wacko comments.

It looks like something that wanted to be down first, and then up second.

I'm voting for that thing that old style projectionists used cover the lens of the first projector when the first film reel was done and the second reel was ready.

Not that I've ever been an old style projectionist.

Wait a minute.

I know one.

I'll call my brother!

The only place it appears in google images is in forum threads that are asking...What the hell is that?

It clearly cannot have been made in the past 30 years - it is all metal. Of course the acid test for dating would be to look for the 'Made in China' stamp. 'Made in Japan' would date it to the 1950's. :)

Note the sort of guide rail up the side of the post, which stops short of the top, then the notch in the bottom edge of the sleeve and the more worn patch just above the top of the guide rail. That suggests to me that it is designed to be raised up above the top of the guide rail then turned until the notch holds it in place.

Strange that the guide rail only goes down so far, but the paint is worn off of the post far below the slider.

The notches in the arms were to secure a chain or clasp that would close the arms around a glass container. The chain would raise or lower the container over a burner, or as someone suggested, release the clasp instead.

The item appears to be brass, I believe that the color is patina, not paint.

It was the predecessor to this thing.

http://agarwallabglassware.com/product/assemblies/2730.jpg

Attachments

• thing.jpg
    thing.jpg
    7.7 KB · Views: 364
Last edited:
It's an old-fashioned multi-functional brass doohickey with a chain driven, vertically adjustable thingamajig. The missing thingamabob is separate.

It was definitely meant to be raised and lowered and then turned at the top once it was past the guide rail. Note the notch in the moveable part.

The upper arm is immobile. The chain attaches to something which leads into the box. I imagine that when the chain is pulled, it pulls that lower arm up, against spring loaded tension from inside the box.

Whatever it's meant to hold, it cannot be too heavy, or the whole thing will tip over, given the moment arm since it looks like it's mean to hold it at the top of the shaft. So a beaker full of liquid is out of the question.

Bill Foster said:
The upper arm is immobile. The chain attaches to something which leads into the box. I imagine that when the chain is pulled, it pulls that lower arm up, against spring loaded tension from inside the box.

Whatever it's meant to hold, it cannot be too heavy, or the whole thing will tip over, given the moment arm since it looks like it's mean to hold it at the top of the shaft. So a beaker full of liquid is out of the question.
The beaker would likely only hold a tiny amount.

I don't see how a beaker would attach to those arms anyway.

This thread could be a lot more interesting to an archeologist from the future than the object itself... A civilisation sinking in an ocean of useless stuff looking nonetheless for some meaning and purpose to what it did not so long ago... :yuck:

Last edited:
My attachment says it all. :wink:

attachment.php?attachmentid=53799&stc=1&d=1355163709.jpg

potcon.gif

Similar to:

rheostat.jpg

Attachments

• rheostat.jpg
    rheostat.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 558
<h2>What is this?</h2><p>This is a common question when someone encounters an unfamiliar object or item. It is a broad question that can have many different answers depending on the context and the object in question.</p><h2>Recognize it?</h2><p>This question is often asked when someone is trying to identify an object based on its appearance or characteristics. It can be helpful to provide more information about the object in order to aid in recognition.</p><h2>Used for?</h2><p>This question is commonly asked when someone is trying to understand the purpose or function of an object. It can be helpful to provide some background information or context about the object in order to answer this question.</p><h2>Can you explain its scientific name?</h2><p>This question is asked when someone is curious about the scientific name of an object. Scientific names are often derived from Latin or Greek words and can provide more information about an object's characteristics or classification.</p><h2>Is it safe to handle or use?</h2><p>This question is important when encountering an unfamiliar object, especially in a scientific setting. It is important to assess potential hazards and take necessary precautions when handling or using any object.</p>

What is this?

This is a common question when someone encounters an unfamiliar object or item. It is a broad question that can have many different answers depending on the context and the object in question.

Recognize it?

This question is often asked when someone is trying to identify an object based on its appearance or characteristics. It can be helpful to provide more information about the object in order to aid in recognition.

Used for?

This question is commonly asked when someone is trying to understand the purpose or function of an object. It can be helpful to provide some background information or context about the object in order to answer this question.

Can you explain its scientific name?

This question is asked when someone is curious about the scientific name of an object. Scientific names are often derived from Latin or Greek words and can provide more information about an object's characteristics or classification.

Is it safe to handle or use?

This question is important when encountering an unfamiliar object, especially in a scientific setting. It is important to assess potential hazards and take necessary precautions when handling or using any object.