Why does a warm bath cause the anal sphincter to stop spasming?

by bluemoonKY
Tags: anal, bath, spasming, sphincter, stop, warm
bluemoonKY
Feb22-14, 08:05 PM
P: 33
Physicians recommend that people with anal fissures take a lot of warm baths. Physicians say that if a person's anal sphincter is spasming (which causes a great deal of pain), a warm bath will cause the anal sphincter to stop spasming.

If I did not post this sentence, someone would probably respond: "the heat of a warm bath causes the anal sphincter to relax. This causes the anal sphincter to stop spasming." A muscle's relaxing is synonymous with a muscle's not spasming. Responding that heat causes the anal sphincter to relax is like saying heat causes an anal sphincter to stop spasming because heat causes the anal sphincter to stop spasmsing. It does not answer the question.

Why does heat cause the anal sphincter to stop spasming?
Phys.Org News Partner Medical research news on Phys.org
Pregnancy complications may be more common in immigrants from certain regions
Use of frozen material for fecal transplant successfully treats C. difficile infection
Death rates from pancreatic cancer predicted to rise in Europe in 2014
lisab
Feb22-14, 09:30 PM
Mentor
P: 2,917
For clarification, I think what you're asking is: What is the effect of temperature on muscle spasms?

(Perhaps the answer will depend on whether the sphincter is a smooth or skeletal muscle, but I will let our medicos take it from here.)
Evo
Feb22-14, 10:14 PM
Mentor
P: 25,961
Quote Quote by bluemoonKY View Post
Physicians recommend that people with anal fissures take a lot of warm baths. Physicians say that if a person's anal sphincter is spasming (which causes a great deal of pain), a warm bath will cause the anal sphincter to stop spasming.

If I did not post this sentence, someone would probably respond: "the heat of a warm bath causes the anal sphincter to relax. This causes the anal sphincter to stop spasming." A muscle's relaxing is synonymous with a muscle's not spasming. Responding that heat causes the anal sphincter to relax is like saying heat causes an anal sphincter to stop spasming because heat causes the anal sphincter to stop spasmsing. It does not answer the question.

Why does heat cause the anal sphincter to stop spasming?
Do you have any papers on this? Perhaps if you tried to find medical research on this, it would answer your question.

SteamKing
Feb23-14, 02:56 AM
HW Helper
Thanks
P: 5,591

Why does a warm bath cause the anal sphincter to stop spasming?

You could always try an ice bath. It may not stop your anal spasms, but you won't be thinking about them as much.

Heat therapy is effective because it causes the blood vessels in the treated area to dilate:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heat_therapy

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vasodilation
Superman1271
Feb25-14, 06:57 AM
P: 21
I had this problem before, and got better after using suppositories. Maybe worth asking your doctor about them.
SteamKing
Feb25-14, 10:16 PM
HW Helper
Thanks
P: 5,591
These problems are hard to heal. One thing which helps is to make sure there is plenty of fiber in your diet.

Register to reply