Problem:two standard users, no administrator how to solve?.help.

• Thread starter sam topper.
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Standard
In summary, the problem is that dllhost.exe is constantly consuming memory and preventing the user from opening folders.
sam topper.
guys, there are two users in my system which are 'standard user' and no one is 'administrator'.

now the problem is that when i am installing any software then it's asking to type an administrator password and then press 'yes'.
but there is no blank to type any password and the yes option is dimmed(not highlighted).

please. help.

Computer science news on Phys.org
Try pressing "enter". I have found it sometimes works.

is there no chance of having an administrator?.
do i need to completely format the system, inorder to solve this?.

The simplest way to solve this is create an administrator account. The precise methodology to do so varies based on your operating system. A search engine query such as "create administrator account" on your favorite search engine might be helpful.

Likes 1 person
Is this for Windows 8 or Windows 7 or Mac OS or what?

Under Mac OS, only administrators can create accounts (either administrator accounts or non-administrator accounts). I'd expect it to be the same under Windows.

command prompt is not opening in 'run as administrator'. it's asking 'type an administrator password and then press enter'. but there is no blank for typing password and 'yes' option is dimmed.
so i simply opened it and typed: net user administrator /active:yes.
it displays: system error 5 has occurred. access is denied.
then how to resolve?..help.

For Windows, there is always an administrator account on your local machine. Your trouble is that you are not an administrator. You must obviously have a limited account which will deny you to do certain functions on your machine.

One way around this is to not install your program in the file "Program Files", but in another directory accessable only to you that you will create such as "My Programs". This may or may not work since it will depend upon what type of program you are attempting to install and what your program needs to access from the system.

First, try booting into Safeboot and see if the administrator option is available there. Normally, there's a default admin account that you do not have access to in normal mode.
Here's how you restart in safemode
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-ca/...-safe-mode#start-computer-safe-mode=windows-7

If you are able to log in as an admin, just elevate one account to administrator and you're done.

If that doesn't work, there's a utility CD you can use to reset/create/upgrade accounts on your system to admin status. It's called Hiren's Boot CD
http://www.hirensbootcd.org/download/

Here's a video that shows you how. It's not very good (I searched for about 2 seconds, you will probably find a better one if you search more), the audio quality is poor but you can follow what's going on to see what you need to do.

Hope this helps.

P.S. This is an advanced tool and as with all repair tools, it has the ability to properly break your OS if you make a mistake. If that happens, you will likely render your system unbootable and will be forced to wipe the system and reinstall the OS. If you don't know what you're doing/don't want to take the risk, just take the computer down to a computer repair store.

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes 1 person
is it f8 or f7 for safe mode in windows 7 home basic os.

It's F8

new problem pl. help...
now there is one standard user and one administrator user, i don't know how the administrator user password is changed. i am unable to login as administrator, i am just logging as standard user.
is there a chance to know the administrator password through the standard user?.

i have already downloaded it, now do i need to burn it to disc?.. also it is zip file and i don't have winrar in my system.. can i download it in other file format?..since i don't have access to admin, i can't install winrar again...
what to do.

Use another computer to burn the disk. Go visit a friend or something.

Likes 1 person
hi! yesterday i downloaded a video with format "3d mp4" .
from then onwards, in the task manager dllhost.exe is going on consuming the memory and not at all stopping, even if i kill it, it is again starting.
pb. is when i am opening a folder the contents are not being displayed.
any solution to this problem.
waiting for ur good solutions...

sam topper. said:
hi! yesterday i downloaded a video with format "3d mp4" .
from then onwards, in the task manager dllhost.exe is going on consuming the memory and not at all stopping, even if i kill it, it is again starting.
pb. is when i am opening a folder the contents are not being displayed.
any solution to this problem.
waiting for ur good solutions...

Screenshot please.

dllhost and the related rundll32 program are legitimate programs that the OS uses to carry out tasks. For example, then you open your system properties window, dllhost is launched to run the appropriate dlls.
Now, because of the way dllhost and rundll32 work, they allow dll's to be run as applications. Spyware programs often use this process to carry out their tasks because the default windows tool, Task Manager, only shows the host, not the dll(s) they are running.

There are tools that you can use that may help you with determining if the dll being run is malicious or safe.
You can download a tool called Process Explorer
here's the link
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-ca/sysinternals/bb896653.aspx

Then run the program as administrator, set it to show attached dll's and then examine what exactly the dllhost process is running.
Here's an example of what process explorer looks like.

First click on the "View DLLs button on the top. This will display attached DLLs to each process thread.
Then find the dllhost that is using all your processor time.
Click it to select it and mouseover the line, it will give you a popup window like the image. If it doesn't move your mouse away and mouseover the line again.
Under COM class in the popup, it should identify what exactly it is running.
Then you can decide if it's okay or not.

If you do not know what the dll does, google the filename to determine if it is malicious or not.

In the screenshot I posted, the attached dll is idstore.dll and a quick google search indicates this file is safe.

Attachments

• process_exp.png
    process_exp.png
    67.2 KB · Views: 504
IMHO it is not wise to simply elevate the user account that you regularly use to Admin privileges. I'm not saying anyone recommended this, just trying to be thorough and clear. One of the values of upgrading from XP is the regular user who can invoke admin privileges when needed, but ONLY when needed. If you use it all the time for convenience you compromise your system security.

1. How can I install new software without an administrator account?

In this scenario, you can try downloading portable versions of the software or use a virtual machine to install the software. You can also ask the administrator to temporarily grant you administrator privileges to install the software.

2. How can I change system settings without an administrator account?

Without an administrator account, you may not have access to change system settings. You can try using third-party software that allows you to change some system settings without administrator privileges. Otherwise, you will need to ask the administrator to make the necessary changes for you.

3. How do I reset a forgotten password without an administrator account?

If you have forgotten your password and do not have an administrator account, you will need to use a password recovery tool or reset the password using a bootable USB or CD. You may also need to contact the administrator for assistance.

4. Is it possible to create a new administrator account without an existing one?

In this situation, you may not be able to create a new administrator account without an existing one. However, you can ask the administrator to create a new account for you or grant you temporary administrator privileges to create a new account.

5. What can I do if I need to perform tasks that require administrator privileges?

If you need to perform tasks that require administrator privileges, you can ask the administrator to grant you temporary privileges or to perform the task for you. Alternatively, you can try using third-party software that allows you to perform certain tasks without administrator privileges.