James Stewart's Calculus (Fourth Edition)

• Thread starter mewhoexactlywhat
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Calculus
In summary: The 4th edition is up to chapter 5 and maybe a little of 6 is Calc 1. Calc 2 is where 1 left off either 6 or 7 until chapter 11. Then Calc 3 nearly finishes the book, chapters 12 through 16.
mewhoexactlywhat
Can anyone tell me how James Stewart's Calculus (Fourth Edition) is divided into Calculus 1, 2, and 3 (which chapters belong to each subject)?
I've heard that it contains all three but I cannot see any clear division. Also, where does multivariable Calculus fit-is it part of 1, 2, or 3, or is it seperate? Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
mewhoexactlywhat said:
Can anyone tell me how James Stewart's Calculus (Fourth Edition) is divided into Calculus 1, 2, and 3 (which chapters belong to each subject)?
I've heard that it contains all three but I cannot see any clear division. Also, where does multivariable Calculus fit-is it part of 1, 2, or 3, or is it seperate? Thank you.

The way my college does it, up to chapter 5 and maybe a little of 6 is Calculus 1. Calc 2 is where 1 left off either 6 or 7 until chapter 11. Then Calc 3 nearly finishes the book, chapters 12 through 16.

Thank you.

What material is in these chapters d_leet? My calc 1 class finished chapter 6 and that is where we stopped. I am thinking that calc 2 will go from ch. 7 all the way through ch. 12. And I think that my calc 3 class will be the rest of the book. I have the fifth edition though. Here is the way the chapters are set up for 5e:
1 - Functions and Models
2 - Limits and Rate of Change
3 - Derivatives
4 - Applications of Differentiation
5 - Integrals
6 - Applications of Integration
7 - Inverse Functions
8 - Techniques of Integration
9 - Further Applications of Integration
10 - Differential Equations
11 - Parametric Equations and Polar Coordinates
12 - Infinite Sequences and Series
13 - Vectors and the Geometry of Space
14 - Vector Functions
15 - Partial Derivatives
16 - Multiple Integrals
17 - Vector Calculus
18 - Second Order Differential Equations

We used this book in my calculus classes (the 4th edition, though). The topics covered were...

Calc 1:
Nothing000 said:
1 - Functions and Models
2 - Limits and Rate of Change
3 - Derivatives
4 - Applications of Differentiation
5 - Integrals

Calc 2:
Nothing000 said:
5 - Integrals
6 - Applications of Integration
7 - Inverse Functions
8 - Techniques of Integration
9 - Further Applications of Integration
10 - Differential Equations
11 - Parametric Equations and Polar Coordinates
12 - Infinite Sequences and Series

Calc 3:
Nothing000 said:
13 - Vectors and the Geometry of Space
14 - Vector Functions
15 - Partial Derivatives
16 - Multiple Integrals
17 - Vector Calculus

Note that Chapter 5 was in both Calc 1 and 2, Calc 1 ended with the FTC and some basic integration, Calc 2 started up at the same point. The multivariable stuff really starts in Chapter 15.

People always say that Calc 2 is the hardest, and it at your school this is definitely the case!

Nothing000 said:
People always say that Calc 2 is the hardest, and it at your school this is definitely the case!

Well I took Calc in college, but 3 was the hardest. For the first two weeks the prof lectured on the properties of vector spaces using as much greek shorthand as he could manage. Scared people out of their wits, about 1/4 the class dropped in the first two weeks and then he continued on with the rest of the class doing perfectly normal lectures with basically no greek shorthand at all. I think he thought there were too many people in the class.

I think that is pretty common for professors to try to scare the student in the first couple of weeks. That way they are only left with the people that are there to really learn. My chemistry professor did that. The class started out with 270 students and ended with around 100 students.

dicerandom said:
Well I took Calc in college, but 3 was the hardest. For the first two weeks the prof lectured on the properties of vector spaces using as much greek shorthand as he could manage. Scared people out of their wits, about 1/4 the class dropped in the first two weeks and then he continued on with the rest of the class doing perfectly normal lectures with basically no greek shorthand at all. I think he thought there were too many people in the class.

My calc 3 teacher wasn't quote as hard core as yours was, but I agree that calc 3 was harder than 2.

I hope so, because I am taking calc 2 this semester.

I know this is a really really old thread but has anyone by chance got the solution manual to this book? Been looking for it everywhere, would be extremely handy for study.

Why would my teacher suggest 4E when it's up to 7E?

What is the content of "James Stewart's Calculus (Fourth Edition)"?

James Stewart's Calculus (Fourth Edition) is a comprehensive textbook that covers the fundamentals of single variable calculus, including topics such as limits, derivatives, integrals, and applications. It also includes additional topics such as multivariable calculus, sequences and series, and differential equations.

Who is the author of "James Stewart's Calculus (Fourth Edition)"?

The author of "James Stewart's Calculus (Fourth Edition)" is James Stewart, a Canadian mathematician and professor who has written numerous textbooks on calculus and other areas of mathematics. He is known for his clear and engaging writing style, making complex concepts easy to understand.

What makes "James Stewart's Calculus (Fourth Edition)" different from other calculus textbooks?

One of the main differences of "James Stewart's Calculus (Fourth Edition)" is its focus on real-world applications and problem-solving. The textbook includes a wide range of examples and exercises that relate to fields such as physics, engineering, economics, and biology, making the concepts more relatable and practical.

Is "James Stewart's Calculus (Fourth Edition)" suitable for beginners?

Yes, "James Stewart's Calculus (Fourth Edition)" is suitable for beginners as it starts with the basics of calculus and gradually builds upon them. The textbook also includes helpful resources such as step-by-step solutions and video explanations to assist students in understanding the concepts.

Can "James Stewart's Calculus (Fourth Edition)" be used for self-study?

Yes, "James Stewart's Calculus (Fourth Edition)" can be used for self-study as it contains a variety of resources and exercises for independent learning. However, having a teacher or tutor to provide guidance and answer questions may be beneficial for a better understanding of the material.