Find the acceleration in the string

In summary, the conversation revolves around finding the acceleration of a system where one block has a mass of 10kg and the other has a mass of 20kg, and a 50N force is applied to the second block. There is confusion about how to find the acceleration, with one person suggesting a = 1.6 and another suggesting a = 5.0. Further clarification is needed about what is meant by "acceleration in the string" and the relevance of another problem to this one.
jesuslovesu
http://img514.imageshack.us/img514/2535/test4uv.th.jpg

The 1st block has a mass of 10kg and the 2nd block has a mass of 20kg..

I need to find the acceleration in the string when a 50 N force is applied to the 2nd block...

I was thinking to find the acceleration I would do 50 N = (30kg)a
a = 1.6 but according to another problem that I looked at the acceleration would be 5.0 so now I'm confused for the correct way to find it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I don't know what you mean by "acceleration in the string" and I think you've left something out. Also, we have no way of comparing the present problem with the other one you mention and, therefore, have no basis for judging whether the solution of the other problem has any relevance to this one.

Please elaborate.

it looks like he means that he wants to know the acceleration of the system after the 50 N force has been applied to the string?

it's kind of unclear.

what's the second problem like?

Shouldn't there be the assumption that both objects have the same acceleration a ?

Newton's second law for the composite system then yields
[tex] 50 = (10 + 20) a[/tex]
[tex] a = \frac{5}{3} \frac{m}{s^2}[/tex]

Newton's second law for the left block yields
[tex] 10a = T[/tex]
[tex] \frac{50}{3} N = T[/tex]

Newton's second law for the right block yields
[tex] 20a = 50-T[/tex]

Which again must give the correct same T
[tex] T = \frac{150}{3} - \frac{100}{3} = \frac {50}{3} N[/tex]

marlon

I was thinking to find the acceleration I would do 50 N = (30kg)a
a = 1.6 but according to another problem that I looked at the acceleration would be 5.0 so now I'm confused for the correct way to find it.

He has done that. May be he is asking about finding some thing else. He needs to state the problem properly so we can stop guessing.

Yeah, sorry I was talking about the acceleration for the system.
That second problem I was talking about was really weird and I think I might of screwed up on that.

I can understand what marlon did,
thanks all

1. What is acceleration in a string?

Acceleration in a string refers to the rate at which the string's velocity changes over time. It is a measure of how quickly the string is accelerating or decelerating in a particular direction.

2. How is acceleration in a string calculated?

Acceleration in a string is calculated using the formula a = (v2 - v1)/t, where a is acceleration, v2 is the final velocity, v1 is the initial velocity, and t is the time interval over which the velocity changes.

3. What factors affect the acceleration in a string?

The acceleration in a string can be affected by various factors such as the tension in the string, the mass of the object attached to the string, and any external forces acting on the string.

4. How does the acceleration in a string relate to Newton's second law of motion?

According to Newton's second law of motion, the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force acting on it and inversely proportional to its mass. In the case of a string, the acceleration is determined by the net force acting on the string and the mass of the object attached to it.

5. Can the acceleration in a string be negative?

Yes, the acceleration in a string can be negative if the object attached to the string is slowing down or decelerating. This means that the final velocity is smaller than the initial velocity, resulting in a negative value for acceleration.