Thought about graduate school and

In summary, the conversation discusses a senior undergraduate student's thoughts about graduate school and other post-undergraduate opportunities in the field of Physics. The student is curious about employment options beyond graduate school, particularly in accounting and computer science. They also mention the potential for physics graduates to work at companies like Microsoft, Dell, IBM, and Boeing, and question whether an undergraduate degree is sufficient for research and development positions at such companies.
JamesJames
Thought about graduate school and...

I am a senior undergraduate student in Physics (last year is in progress with a GPA that is very close to a B+)..have been around these forums for nearly 2 years now and would like to ask a few questions regarding post-undergrad opportunities. I am planning to put in a grad school application although am curious about other options open to me. I have read through ZapperZ' s thread and several others on here, over the last 2 years.

When I started out, it was only graduate school...I did not want to do anything but Physics...no Biology, no Philosophy, no Chemistry, no Computer Science..nothing else once I got my undergrad degree. Having gone through the strains of getting this degree, I have become perhaps more curious about finding out information about employment beyond the undergrad level that would be potentially open to a Physics student, should they choose to go down that road.

I have been told of physics graduates going into accounting and computer science fields and have a few questions regarding such fields and employment options.

Relating to the accounting issue, that is something that was mentioned in a differential equations course in relation to their modelling skills (professor trying to motivate students and, in his case, get us interested in the Boston University Ordinary Differential Equations Project). When they mean problem-solving skills...do they mean things like modelling ODEs and PDEs for example? And would these people be employed at places like banks or other kinds of financial institutions? Physics majors don' t usually have acess to such information (relating to a totally different field) about the workplace.

In reference to Computer Science, I think that most Physics students who get employment in Computer Science positions would require a fairly indepth knowledge of programming and networking. These are probably the students who are double majors, in both Physics and Computer Science or maybe major/minors involving these two areas. From my experience, this level would no doubt be siginificantly higher than that expected of undergraduates who are just studying Physics. I can see an Engineer satisfying the required programming requirements and maybe getting very close to doing so in regards to the networking requirements, but don' t think that the same is true of a Physics undergraduate student.

What about places like Microsoft, Dell, IBM, Bell, Sprint, Satellite Communications companies or Boeing...would an undergraduate degree in Physics (or Engineering) be sufficient to be considered for even junior (and be expected to work up) research and development related employment at such companies? Or is a masters' degree the minimum?

James

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Anyone? Surely someone can offer some suggestions.

I can definitely relate to your questions and concerns about post-undergrad opportunities. First of all, congratulations on almost completing your undergraduate degree in Physics! That is no small feat and you should be proud of yourself for getting this far.

Now, to address your questions about graduate school and other options open to you. It's great that you have been thinking about graduate school and actively seeking information on it. It's an important decision to make and it's good to be well-informed before making a decision.

In terms of other options, there are definitely many opportunities open to Physics graduates beyond graduate school. As you mentioned, some Physics graduates go into fields like accounting and computer science. These fields value problem-solving skills and analytical thinking, which are skills that Physics students develop throughout their undergraduate studies. So yes, your experience with modelling ODEs and PDEs can definitely be useful in these fields.

In regards to employment in companies like Microsoft, Dell, IBM, etc., it really depends on the specific job and company. Some positions may require a higher level of education (e.g. a Masters or PhD), while others may be open to undergraduate Physics students. It's always a good idea to research the specific job requirements and qualifications before applying.

One thing to keep in mind is that your undergraduate degree in Physics is just the foundation. It shows that you have a strong understanding of the fundamental principles of Physics and the ability to think critically and solve complex problems. It's up to you to continue building on that foundation and develop additional skills and knowledge that will make you competitive in the job market.

Overall, my advice would be to keep an open mind and explore different opportunities. Don't limit yourself to just one field or career path. You never know where your Physics degree can take you! Good luck with your future endeavors.

What are the benefits of attending graduate school?

Attending graduate school can provide advanced knowledge and skills in a particular field, as well as opportunities for networking and career advancement. It can also open up doors for higher-paying jobs and increased job security.

What are the different types of graduate programs available?

There are many different types of graduate programs, including master's degrees, doctoral degrees, and professional degrees such as law or medicine. Within each of these categories, there may be different specializations or concentrations to choose from.

What are the requirements for admission to graduate school?

The specific requirements for admission to graduate school may vary depending on the program and institution. However, most programs will require a bachelor's degree from an accredited university, letters of recommendation, a personal statement, and standardized test scores such as the GRE or GMAT.

How long does it typically take to complete a graduate program?

The length of a graduate program can vary depending on the field of study and the specific program. On average, a master's degree can take 1-2 years to complete, while a doctoral degree can take 4-7 years. Professional degrees may have different timelines.

What is the difference between a thesis and a dissertation?

A thesis is a research project that is completed at the end of a master's degree program, while a dissertation is a longer and more in-depth research project completed at the end of a doctoral degree program. Both involve original research and written analysis, but a dissertation is typically more extensive and requires a higher level of scholarship.