How Does Earth's Atmospheric Charge Density Vary with Altitude?

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the volume charge density of a particular region of the Earth's atmosphere, assuming it to be uniform between two altitudes. By using Gauss' law and neglecting the curvature of the Earth, an expression for the charge density is derived, which does not depend on the area of the region. The final result is 1.11 C/m^3.
Punchlinegirl
In a particular region of the Earth's atmosphere, the electric field above the Earth's surface has been measured to be 155 N/C downward at an altitude of 271 m and 175.5 N/C downward at an altitude of 409 m. The permittivity of free space is 8.85 x 10^-12 C^2/Nm^2. Neglecting the curvature of the earth, calculate the volume charge density of the atmosphere assuming it to be uniform between 271 m and 409 m. Answer in units of C/m^3.

First I figured out the 2 equations for flux and set them equal to each other. [tex] \Phi = q_e_n_c / E_o [/tex] and [tex] \Phi = E cos \theta * A [/tex] Since theta= 90, cos 90=1, so it's just * A.
To find the area of the sphere, I took the area of the larger sphere and subtracted the smaller one.
so [tex] A= (E_R * 4\pi R^2)- (E_r * 4\pi r^2) [/tex]
So then [tex] q_e_n_c/ E_o = (E_RA- E_rA) [/tex]
q_enc= (E_RA- E_rA)*E_o
since it's charge per volume, you divide each side by the volume and solve for the charge.
so [tex] q_e_n_c = (E_RA - E_rA)*E_o / 4/3 \pi (R^3-r^3) [/tex]
i was a little unsure of what each variable was in the problem, but I think
E_r = 155 N/C
E_R = 175.5 N/C
r= 271 m
R= 409
So plugging in gives (155* 4pi (271)^2)=1.43 x 10^8 for E_rA
E_RA = (175.5 * 4pi (409)^2) = 3.69 x 10^8
so 2.26x 10^8/ (4/3)pi (409^3 -271^3)) =1.11 C/m^3
Can someone tell me what I'm doing wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
We are asked to neglect the curvature of the earth. So, consider a large, flat region of the Earth's surface. Imagine a Gaussian surface in the shape of a rectangular box with the top and bottom surfaces of the box parallel to the ground. Let the top surface of the box be 409 m above the ground and the bottom surface of the box be 271 m above the ground. Let the top and bottom surfaces of the box each have area ##A##.

Gauss' law can be used to find an expression for the total charge ##Q## inside the box. The expression will involve the area ##A##.

Then we can derive an expression for the charge density ##\rho## and find that the area ##A## does not appear in the expression for ##\rho##.

What is volume charge density?

Volume charge density is a physical quantity that describes the amount of electric charge per unit volume in a given region of space. It is typically denoted by the symbol ρ and is measured in units of coulombs per cubic meter.

How is volume charge density related to electric fields?

Volume charge density is directly related to the strength of an electric field. The electric field at a point in space is equal to the volume charge density multiplied by a constant, known as the permittivity of free space. This relationship is described by the equation E = ρ/ε₀, where ε₀ is the permittivity of free space.

How is volume charge density different from surface charge density?

Volume charge density describes the amount of charge per unit volume, while surface charge density describes the amount of charge per unit area on a surface. Volume charge density is a three-dimensional quantity, while surface charge density is a two-dimensional quantity.

What factors can affect volume charge density?

Volume charge density can be affected by a variety of factors, including the presence of other charged objects or materials, the distance from a charged object, and the type of material in which the charges are located.

How is volume charge density measured?

Volume charge density can be measured using various instruments and techniques, depending on the specific situation. One common method is to use a device called an electroscope, which can detect the presence and magnitude of electric charges in a given region of space.