Frame dragging by a black hole

In summary, a satellite is being launched to measure frame dragging by a spinning Earth, as predicted by General Relativity. A reference is requested for the frame dragging expected for a black hole, either spinning or not. NASA provides a reference for the static frame of a non-spinning black hole, confirming that frames would not be dragged by a Schwarzschild black hole. However, frames would be dragged by a rotating massive object. It is unclear if frames would have inward or outward radial movement with respect to the event horizon.
yanniru
I just read in a popular magazine about the satellite to be launched in order to measure the frame dragging by a spinning Earth as predicted by General Relativity. Can some one tell or give me a reference for the frame dragging expected for a black hole, either spinning or not?

Physics news on Phys.org
Static frame for non-spinning black hole

From your reference I then presume that for a static black hole, the frames are also static??

Originally posted by yanniru
From your reference I then presume that for a static black hole, the frames are also static??

If by static you mean not rotating then yes. A schwarzschild black hole would not drag frames, but any rotating massive object (like the earth) would.

By static I am also asking if the frame is fixed with respect to the event horizon, or is there inward or outward radial movement of the frame? Thanks for you patience.

Ah, you mean growing in size? I don't know of any results on that.

1. What is frame dragging by a black hole?

Frame dragging is a phenomenon in which a rotating black hole drags the surrounding spacetime along with it, causing the space to twist and warp.

2. How does frame dragging affect nearby objects?

Frame dragging can affect the motion of nearby objects, causing them to experience a force known as the Lense-Thirring effect. This effect can alter the trajectories of objects and even cause them to orbit the black hole in a different direction than they would have otherwise.

3. Is frame dragging only caused by black holes?

No, frame dragging can also be caused by any massive rotating object, such as a neutron star or a rapidly spinning planet. However, the effects are much stronger near a black hole due to its extreme gravity.

4. Can frame dragging be observed or measured?

Yes, frame dragging has been observed indirectly through the study of binary systems in which one object is a black hole. The effects of frame dragging can also be measured through the use of satellites and other spacecraft.

5. What are the practical applications of studying frame dragging?

Studying frame dragging can help us understand the properties of black holes and the behavior of spacetime in extreme gravitational fields. It can also have practical applications in the development of new technologies, such as more accurate navigation systems for spacecraft.