Do Antitachyons Travel Slower Than Light?

• Thread starter skywolf
  • Start date
In summary, tachyons are defined as all faster-than-light particles, while antitachyons would simply be the opposite of this, behaving as slower-than-light particles. However, there is debate about whether the concept of "backward in time" for these particles is just a notation or a real physical phenomenon. The positron is considered a real particle with a timelike worldline, while its antiparticle, the electron, can travel FTL on a spacelike worldline, making it a tachyon.
skywolf
if a tachyon travels faster than the speed of light would an antitachyon travel slower?

Physics news on Phys.org
A tachyon defines all FTL particles, not a specific particle.

If you were to define "anti-tachyons", they would simply be our garden-variety STL electrons, protons, neutrons etc.

skywolf said:
if a tachyon travels faster than the speed of light would an antitachyon travel slower?

I see your point; if the antiparticle of the electron (travelling slower than light on a timelike worldline) travels "backward in time" (according to Feynmann) i.e. FTL on a spacelike worldline, then it is a tachyon and its antiparticle is the timelike electron.

People keep telling us the "backward in time" is just notational; the difference between the electron wave function and the positron wave function in QED can be expressed by putting in t -> -t. So I don't think you can push this statement to draw conclusions from it.

The positron is visibly a real particle that leaves timelike tracks in detectors.

1. What does "making sense" mean in a scientific context?

In science, "making sense" refers to whether an idea or concept is logical, supported by evidence, and consistent with established theories and principles.

2. Why is it important for scientific ideas to make sense?

Making sense is important in science because it ensures that ideas are valid and reliable, allowing for accurate predictions and further advancements in knowledge.

3. How can we determine if a scientific idea makes sense?

To determine if a scientific idea makes sense, it is necessary to evaluate the evidence and data supporting it, as well as its consistency with existing knowledge and theories in the field.

4. Can a scientific idea make sense but still be incorrect?

Yes, a scientific idea can make sense based on the available evidence and knowledge, but it may still be incorrect. This is why the scientific method involves constant testing and revision of ideas to improve their accuracy and validity.

5. What should I do if a scientific idea does not make sense to me?

If a scientific idea does not make sense to you, it is important to seek out reliable sources and further information to better understand the concept. Asking questions and engaging in discussions with other scientists can also help clarify any confusion.