Exploring Ooze Wave Function and Its Properties

In summary, the "ooze" wavefunction is given by a normalization factor, K, multiplied by the sum of 1000 individual wavefunctions. The value of K is found by ensuring that the wavefunction is normalized. The average energy predicted to be observed is calculated by finding the probabilities for all energies and multiplying each energy by its respective probability, then summing them all together.
UrbanXrisis
The following is a "ooze" wafve function:

[tex]\Psi_{ooze} (x,t)=\frac{1}{K} \left( \Psi_1 + \Psi_2+...+\Psi_{1000} \right) [/tex]

1. I am to find the value of K, but I don't even know what it represents. Is K the coefficent to normalize the probablity to 1?

2. Probability where energy [tex] E_q [/tex] can be observed?

[tex] E_n = \frac{n^2 \pi^2 \hbar^2}{2mL^2} [/tex]

[tex] \sum_{n=1}^q \frac{n^2 \pi^2 \hbar^2}{2mL^2} [/tex]

[tex] \frac{ \pi^2 \hbar^2}{2mL^2} \sum_{n=1}^q n^2 [/tex]

3. Then I am to find the average energy predicted to be observed. I am not sure what this even means. I am guessing: [tex] E_{avg} = \frac{n^2 \pi^2 \hbar^2}{2nmL^2} [/tex] ??

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I don't know what you're doing at 2, but for 1., yes, it's a normalization factor.

Daniel.

1) A constant factor in front the wavefunction is always for normalization. It can also have a phase, but that's of no physical significance.

2) Ok, from the energies I see this is a square potential well problem. Why are you summing all the energies from [itex]E_1[/itex] to [itex]E_q[/itex]? (And what does it mean?)
You have to find the probability (which is a number between 0 and 1) to measure [itex]E_q[/itex] when you do a measurement of the energy. So what's the general rule for finding the probability of getting a certain result?

3. If you find the probabilities in 2) then I`m sure you can calculate the average.

I know how to find the probability for a wavefunction, but not the probability for energy. For a wavefunction, you multiply the complex conugate of the wavefunction but what about energy? and how does the average energy relate to this?

UrbanXrisis said:
I know how to find the probability for a wavefunction, but not the probability for energy. For a wavefunction, you multiply the complex conugate of the wavefunction but what about energy? and how does the average energy relate to this?
What do you mean 'I know how to find the probability for a wavefunction'. What [itex]|\Psi|^2[/itex] tells you is the probability density for the position of the particle. The phrase 'probability for a wavefunction' doesn't make sense in this context.

The probability of measuring [itex]E_n[/itex] is:
[tex]P(E_n)=|\langle \Psi_n|\hat H|\Psi\rangle|^2[/tex]
[tex]\langle \Psi_n|\hat H|\Psi\rangle=\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}\Psi_n^*(x,t) \hat H \Psi(x,t)dx[/tex]
Surely something like that should be in your book?

Once you know the probabilities for all the energies, you can calculate the average (also called the expected value, which is misleading). But that's not physics per se, that's probability, or statistics:
[tex]\langle A\rangle=\sum_n a_nP(a_n)[/tex]

Last edited:
how would I find K? I am really stumped by this

K should be such that the wavefunction is normalized.
I
So:
[tex]\int_{-\infty}^{+\infty}|\Psi(x)_{ooze}|^2dx=1[/tex]

Now write out the integrand. You'll get a lot of terms, but note all the cross terms integrate to zero, since the [itex]\Psi_i[/itex] are orthogonal.

[tex] \int \frac{1}{K}\frac{1}{K} \Psi_{1}* \Psi_{1} (x,t)+...+\frac{1}{K}\frac{1}{K} \Psi_{1000}* \Psi_{1000} (x,t)=1[/tex]

[tex] = \frac{1000}{k^2} =1 [/tex]

[tex]k=\sqrt {1000} [/tex]

something like that?

Yep. :smile:

so if I was to find the average energy it would be [tex]\frac{1}{1000} E_1 +\frac{1}{1000} E_2 +...+\frac{1}{1000} E_{1000}[/tex] ?

Yes again.

1. What is an ooze wave function?

An ooze wave function is a mathematical representation of the behavior and movement of oozes, which are amorphous, gelatinous creatures. It describes the probability of finding an ooze at a certain location and time, taking into account factors such as its velocity, density, and interactions with other oozes.

2. How do scientists study ooze wave functions?

Scientists study ooze wave functions through a combination of theoretical calculations and experimental observations. They may use mathematical models and simulations to predict the behavior of oozes, and then conduct experiments to test these predictions in real-life settings.

3. What properties of oozes are described by the wave function?

The wave function of oozes describes various properties, including their position, velocity, momentum, and energy. It also takes into account their interactions with other oozes and their surroundings, such as the presence of obstacles or changes in temperature.

4. Can ooze wave functions be applied to other types of substances?

While the concept of wave functions is most often associated with quantum mechanics, it can also be applied to other systems, including oozes. However, the specific properties and equations used to describe the wave function may vary depending on the type of substance being studied.

5. How can understanding ooze wave functions benefit us?

Studying ooze wave functions can help us better understand the behavior of these mysterious creatures and potentially predict their movements in different environments. This knowledge could have practical applications in fields such as biology, chemistry, and materials science.