HELP: A complex valued power series

In summary, the conversation discusses a complex valued power series and the task of proving its sum. The author uses differentiation to solve the problem, but it is suggested that there is an easier method involving geometric progression.
Hummingbird25
Hi All,

I have this here power series which is complex valued

[tex]\frac{2n+1}{2^n} i^n = \frac{4}{25} + \frac{22}{25}i[/tex]

My task is to prove that this power series has the above mentioned sum.

To do this I separate the sum into two sums

[tex]S_0 + S_1 = (i/2)^n + 2* (i/2)*n*(i/2)^{(n-1)}[/tex]

the first is easy since can use

[tex]S_0 = \frac{1}{1-(i/2)} = 4/5+2/5i[/tex]

The second is quite hard to compute. I'm to told that I need to differentiate, by using the sum

[tex]\sum _{n=0} ^{\infty} x^n = \frac{i}{2}[/tex]

then by differentiating the sum I get

[tex]f'(x) = \sum_{n=0} ^{\infty} n x^{n-1}[/tex]

In my textbook it says that x^n converge to 1/(1-x)

Then since |i/2| < 1, I differentiate both sides of the equation.

[tex]\frac{1}{(1-(i/2))^2} = \sum_{n=0} ^{\infty} n (i/2)^{n-1}[/tex]

I multiply by i/2 on both sides of the equation to get.

[tex]\frac{i/2 * 1}{(1-(i/2))^2} =\sum_{n=0} ^{\infty}(i/2) n (i/2)^{n-1} [/tex]

then since |i/2| < 1, then I multiply by a factor of two on both sides of the equation

[tex]2\frac{i/2 * 1}{(1-(i/2))^2} = \sum_{n=0} ^{\infty}2 (i/2) n (i/2)^{n-1}[/tex]

[tex]-16/25 + 12/25i = \sum_{n=0} ^{\infty}2 (i/2) n (i/2)^{n-1}[/tex]

Finally [tex]\frac{4}{5}+ \frac{2}{5i}+ (\frac{-16}{25} + \frac{12}{25i}) = \frac{4}{25} + \frac{22}{25}i[/tex]

I have the feeling that I'm doing something wrong?

Sincerely

Hummingbird25

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hummingbird25 said:
Hi All,

I have this here power series which is complex valued

[tex]\frac{2n+1}{2^n} i^n = \frac{4}{25} + \frac{22}{25}i[/tex]

My task is to prove that this power series has the above mentioned sum.

To do this I separate the sum into two sums

[tex]S_0 + S_1 = (i/2)^n + 2* (i/2)*n*(i/2)^{(n-1)}[/tex]

the first is easy since can use

[tex]S_0 = \frac{1}{1-(i/2)} = 4/5+2/5i[/tex]

The second is quite hard to compute. I'm to told that I need to differentiate, by using the sum

[tex]\sum _{n=0} ^{\infty} x^n = \frac{i}{2}[/tex]

then by differentiating the sum I get

[tex]f'(x) = \sum_{n=0} ^{\infty} n x^{n-1}[/tex]

In my textbook it says that x^n converge to 1/(1-x)

Then since |i/2| < 1, I differentiate both sides of the equation.

[tex]\frac{1}{(1-(i/2))^2} = \sum_{n=0} ^{\infty} n (i/2)^{n-1}[/tex]

I multiply by i/2 on both sides of the equation to get.

[tex]\frac{i/2 * 1}{(1-(i/2))^2} =\sum_{n=0} ^{\infty}(i/2) n (i/2)^{n-1} [/tex]

then since |i/2| < 1, then I multiply by a factor of two on both sides of the equation

[tex]2\frac{i/2 * 1}{(1-(i/2))^2} = \sum_{n=0} ^{\infty}2 (i/2) n (i/2)^{n-1}[/tex]

[tex]-16/25 + 12/25i = \sum_{n=0} ^{\infty}2 (i/2) n (i/2)^{n-1}[/tex]

Finally [tex]\frac{4}{5}+ \frac{2}{5i}+ (\frac{-16}{25} + \frac{12}{25i}) = \frac{4}{25} + \frac{22}{25}i[/tex]

I have the feeling that I'm doing something wrong?

Sincerely

Hummingbird25

Sorry, I don't really have the time to really scrutinise the working you gave. There does seem to be a little typo in the LaTex, but it seems generally OK.

There's a much easier way than differentiation to work out sums of the form

[tex]S = \sum{nx^{-n}}[/tex] or variants on the theme.

Just multiply by x to get

[tex]Sx = \sum{nx^{1-n}}[/tex]

and compare like powers of Sx to S term by term.

You will find that [tex]Sx - S = S(1-x)[/tex] will amount to a very easy geometric progression and you can just divide that by (1-x) to find S.

Much easier than differentiation, IMHO.

1. What is a complex valued power series?

A complex valued power series is a mathematical function that can be represented as an infinite sum of terms, where each term includes a complex number raised to a variable power. It is typically written in the form of f(z) = ∑(a_n * (z-c)^n), where a_n are complex coefficients, z is the variable, and c is the center of the series.

2. How is a complex valued power series used in science?

Complex valued power series are used in various scientific fields, including physics, engineering, and mathematics. They are particularly useful in solving differential equations and describing complex phenomena, such as electromagnetic fields and quantum mechanics.

3. What are some applications of complex valued power series?

Complex valued power series have many applications, including signal processing, control systems, and numerical analysis. They are also used in image and audio compression, as well as in the study of fractals and chaotic systems.

4. What are the similarities and differences between a complex valued power series and a real valued power series?

Both complex valued power series and real valued power series are mathematical functions represented as infinite sums. However, complex valued power series involve complex numbers, while real valued power series only involve real numbers. Additionally, complex valued power series have a center (c) and a variable (z), while real valued power series do not have a center and use a variable (x) instead.

5. How does one determine the convergence of a complex valued power series?

The convergence of a complex valued power series can be determined using the ratio test or the root test. These tests involve evaluating the limit of the ratio or the root of the terms in the series. If the limit is less than 1, the series is said to converge. However, if the limit is greater than 1, the series diverges. If the limit is equal to 1, further tests may be needed to determine convergence or divergence.