Do I have blood sugar problems?

In summary, the conversation discusses the effects of going without food for extended periods of time and suggests getting a glucose test done to determine if there is a blood sugar problem. It is emphasized that regular meals and staying hydrated are important for overall well-being.
Mk
If I haven't eaten for a while (~14 hours) I start to feel hot and sweat, my hands shake a little bit, am more irritable, and generally feel bad. Do I have blood sugar problems? Is this normal?

Last edited:
Biology news on Phys.org
Go and get a glucose test done. Its the best way to find out.

Hunger can make you feel pretty lousy. It doesn't mean you have a blood sugar "problem."

- Warren

If you can go 14 hours without eating, and all that happens is that you feel kind of crummy, you're doing awfully well.

But you should eat more regularly.

14 hours is a long time?

Yes, that is a long time. How strict is your 14 hr. fast? Are you going without food only, or also without water? If I get dehydrated I feel pretty bad. Much worse than if I don't eat.

Its usually every few weeks, and not intended. If I go to bed early, wake up late, and don't get a chance to eat a breakfast.

I am pretty sure now that those bad effects were from lack of water for more than a day's time, not lack of food. One 30-hour fast had me feeling pretty bad, but after I found out it was 26-hours I wanted to see how long I could go. A well-nourished person can go 50 days without food, but only about 3 days without water.

3 minutes without air, 3 days without water, 3 weeks without food. A handy, if very rough mneumonic taught by a paramedic instructor.

1. What is blood sugar and why is it important?

Blood sugar, also known as blood glucose, is the amount of sugar in your blood. It comes from the food you eat and is used by your body for energy. It is important because it is the main source of fuel for your body's cells and organs.

2. How do I know if I have blood sugar problems?

The most common symptoms of blood sugar problems include frequent urination, excessive thirst, fatigue, blurred vision, and slow healing of wounds. However, the only way to know for sure is to get your blood sugar levels tested by a healthcare professional.

3. What are some risk factors for developing blood sugar problems?

Some risk factors for blood sugar problems include being overweight or obese, having a family history of diabetes, being physically inactive, and having a diet high in processed foods and sugary drinks. Age, race, and certain medical conditions can also increase your risk.

4. How can I manage my blood sugar levels?

If you have blood sugar problems, it is important to follow a healthy lifestyle that includes regular physical activity, a balanced diet with plenty of fruits and vegetables, and avoiding sugary and processed foods. Your doctor may also prescribe medication or insulin therapy to help manage your blood sugar levels.

5. Can blood sugar problems be prevented?

While some risk factors for blood sugar problems, such as age and family history, cannot be controlled, there are steps you can take to lower your risk. These include maintaining a healthy weight, staying physically active, and following a healthy diet. Regular check-ups with your doctor can also help detect any potential problems early on.