Luminous intensity in different directions

In summary, the intensity of direct sunlight on a surface normal to the rays is Io. The intensity would still be Io if the surface normal makes an angle of 60 degrees with the rays of the sun. However, the total energy across the surface would tend to infinity for an infinite surface. The intensity must decrease with distance and cannot be calculated using the cosine of the angle. The inverse square law only applies for illuminance, not for luminous intensity. Luminous intensity is equal to the luminous flux for unit solid angle and remains constant in a particular direction regardless of distance. However, the intensity changes with angle and cannot be calculated using the solid angle.
Amith2006
# The intensity of direct sunlight on a surface normal to the rays is Io. What is the intensity of direct sunlight on a surface whose normal makes an angle of 60 degrees with the rays of the sun?
I think the answer is Io itself because for an isotropic point source of light the luminous intensity is the same in all directions. Is it correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
I may be barking up the wrong tree, so correct me someone if I'm wrong but...

By your reasoning, if the angle of normal to the surface tended towards zero, then if the intensity at all points were Io then the total energy across the surface would tend to infinity (for an infinite surface).

The intensity must decrease with distance.

EaGG

Why wouldn't it be cos(60)?

I think lamberts inverse square law is true only for illuminance and not for luminous intensity.
Illuminance = [(luminous intensity) x (cos(theta))]/R^2
Luminous intensity = (Luminous flux)/(Solid angle)
Luminous intensity is equal to the Luminous flux for unit solid angle. By definition of Luminous Flux, it is the energy of the visible part of the radiation emitted,transmitted or received per second. As the solid angle is increased, the total flux goes on increasing and reaches a maximum value at 4(pi) steradians. So I think in a particular direction the luminous intensity is constant irrespective of the distance. I may be wrong.

hmmmm...

The question as you typed it asks for the intensity falling on a surface rather than for a given solid angle. The intensity - a measure of the power received per unit area must change with angle.

EaGG

1. What is luminous intensity?

Luminous intensity is the measure of the amount of light emitted from a source in a specific direction. It is measured in candela (cd) and is often used to describe the brightness of a light source.

2. How does luminous intensity differ in different directions?

Luminous intensity can vary in different directions due to the shape and design of the light source. For example, a spotlight will have a higher luminous intensity in the direction it is pointing compared to the light emitted from a lamp in all directions.

3. How is luminous intensity measured?

Luminous intensity is measured using a device called a photometer, which measures the amount of light falling on a specific area. This measurement is then compared to the luminous intensity of a standard light source.

4. What factors can affect luminous intensity in different directions?

The design and type of light source, as well as the presence of any obstructions or reflectors, can affect luminous intensity in different directions. The distance from the light source and the angle at which the light is measured can also have an impact.

5. How is luminous intensity used in lighting design?

Luminous intensity is an important consideration in lighting design as it helps determine the brightness and direction of light needed for a specific space. It is often used in combination with other measurements, such as illuminance and luminance, to create a well-lit and visually appealing environment.