What is the square root of i^2

In summary, the square root of i^2 is equal to i. The general definition of the square root function in complex numbers is \sqrt{z} = \sqrt{r}e^{i\theta/2} where r = \sqrt{x^2 + y^2} and \theta = \tan^{-1}\left( y \over x \right). However, for \theta, the expression only works for x>0. Therefore, when solving for the polar representation of a complex number, both \sin{\theta} = \frac{y}{r} and \cos{\theta} = \frac{x}{r} must be solved simultaneously.
murshid_islam
what does [tex]\sqrt{i^2}[/tex] equal to? is [tex]\sqrt{i^2} = i[/tex] or [tex]\sqrt{i^2} = \pm i[/tex]?

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
im guessing its plus&minus

The square root is usually taken to be the principal branch of the function. I.e. the root whose argument lies in [0,pi), so you would conventionally obtain i.

In general the n'th root of a complex number is taken to be the principal root unless otherwise stated: the root with argument in the interval [0,2pi/n)

I gave you the usual definition of the square root function in your other thread. You can use that to figure out what it is.

Data said:
I gave you the usual definition of the square root function in your other thread. You can use that to figure out what it is.
you said, [itex]\sqrt{z} = z^{1/2} = \sqrt{r}e^{i\theta/2}.[/itex]

Data said:
So let's try out this definition. If [itex]z=-1[/itex], then we write [itex]z = e^{i\pi}[/itex], and we get [itex]\sqrt{z} = e^{i\pi / 2} = i[/itex]. As you might expect.
but if [tex]z = x + iy[/tex], then [tex]r = \sqrt{x^2 + y^2}[/tex] and [tex]\theta = \tan^{-1}\left( y \over x \right)[/tex]

if [tex]z = -1 = -1 + 0.i[/tex], then x = -1, y = 0.

[tex]r = \sqrt{\left(-1\right)^2} = \sqrt{1} = 1[/tex]

[tex]\theta = \tan^{-1}\left( {0} \over {-1} \right) = 0[/tex]

[tex]\sqrt{z} = \sqrt{-1} = \sqrt{r}e^{i\frac{\theta}{2}} = \sqrt{1}e^{0} = 1[/tex]

but where did i go wrong?

Last edited:
Because arctan only returns values in the region -pi/2 to pi/2, so it is wrong to say that theta is arctan(y/x) alone. You must also use your common sense to see that the argument is actually pi, not zero. It is correct to say that tan(theta)=y/x, but that is *not* the same as theta =arctan(y/x) at all.

yeah, i can see that [tex]\theta = \pi[/tex] from the position of z = -1 in the argand plane. so,

[tex]\sqrt{z} = \sqrt{-1} = \sqrt{r}e^{i\frac{\theta}{2}} = \sqrt{1}e^{i\frac{\pi}{2}} = 1.(\cos{\frac{\pi}{2}} + i.\sin{\frac{\pi}{2}}) = i[/tex]

am i right?

murshid_islam said:
what does [tex]\sqrt{i^2}[/tex] equal to? is [tex]\sqrt{i^2} = i[/tex] or [tex]\sqrt{i^2} = \pm i[/tex]?

This is my assumption:

[tex]\sqrt{i^{2}} = \sqrt{-1} = i[/tex]

[tex]i^{2}[/tex] is equal to -1 and square root of -1 is defined as i.

murshid_islam said:
you said, [itex]\sqrt{z} = z^{1/2} = \sqrt{r}e^{i\theta/2}.[/itex]but if [tex]z = x + iy[/tex], then [tex]r = \sqrt{x^2 + y^2}[/tex] and [tex]\theta = \tan^{-1}\left( y \over x \right)[/tex]

That expression for [itex]r[/itex] works for all [itex]z[/itex], but the one for [itex]\theta[/itex] only works for [itex]x>0[/itex], assuming you're using the usual branch of arctan. In general finding the polar representation of a complex number involves solving

[tex]\sin{\theta} = \frac{y}{r}[/tex]
and
[tex]\cos{\theta} = \frac{x}{r}[/tex]

simultaneously (taking [itex]\arctan (y/x)[/itex] makes the possible solutions obvious though!).

1. What is the square root of i^2?

The square root of i^2 is -i. This can be simplified to just -i, as i^2 is equivalent to -1.

2. How do you find the square root of i^2?

To find the square root of i^2, you can use the property that the square root of a complex number can be found by taking the square root of its magnitude and dividing the argument by 2. In this case, the magnitude of i^2 is 1, and the argument is 180 degrees (or pi radians). So the square root of i^2 is sqrt(1) * e^(i * 180 / 2), which simplifies to -i.

3. Is the square root of i^2 always -i?

Yes, the square root of i^2 will always be -i. This is because i^2 is equivalent to -1, and the square root of -1 is always a complex number with a magnitude of 1 and an argument of 180 degrees (or pi radians). Therefore, the square root of i^2 will always be -i.

4. Can the square root of i^2 be simplified further?

No, the square root of i^2 cannot be simplified any further. It is already in its simplest form, which is -i.

5. Why is the square root of i^2 equal to -i?

The square root of i^2 is equal to -i because i^2 is equivalent to -1. The square root of -1 is always a complex number with a magnitude of 1 and an argument of 180 degrees (or pi radians). This complex number can be expressed as -i, so the square root of i^2 is -i.