Complex Functions (Power Series)

You can also use the ratio test or the root test to find the radius of convergence, if you're familiar with those methods.In summary, the conversation discusses finding the radius of convergence and open disk of convergence for a power series. The formula for the radius of convergence is mentioned, as well as the fact that it can be found by taking the distance from a point to the nearest singularity of the corresponding complex valued function. The conversation also mentions using the limit of the ratio of consecutive coefficients or the ratio test and root test to find the radius of convergence.
suspenc3
Hi, Power Series' were not covered in my cal II class, so I don't know how to solve these. Is there a certain way to solve these?

Find the Radiusof convergence and open disk of convergence of the power series:

[tex]\frac{n^2}{2n+1}(z+6+2i)^n[/tex]

I don't know how to latex the summation but it is there, n=0 - inf.

THanks

Physics news on Phys.org
See the formula for r here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radius_of_convergence

Note that is you have a function f(z), and you find its power series expansion about a point a, then its radius of convergence is just the distance from a to the nearest singularity of f. You can use this fact to find the radius of convergence of the power series of a real-valued function f(x) by finding the nearest singularity of the corresponding complex valued function f(z).

I should have written "Note that if you have an holomorphic function f(z),..."

I need to refresh my memory about all this... :grumpy:

Last edited:
So you just take the lim as n->infinity of [tex]|\frac{C_n}{C_n+1}|[/tex]?

or [tex]\frac{\frac{n^2}{2n+1}}{\frac{n^2}{2n+1}+1}[/tex]?

That's probably the easiest way.

1. What is a power series in complex analysis?

A power series in complex analysis is an infinite series of the form f(z) = ∑n=0 cn(z-z0)n, where z is a complex variable, cn are complex coefficients, and z0 is a complex constant called the center of the series. This type of series is used to represent complex functions, and is especially useful for studying analytic functions.

2. What is the radius of convergence for a power series?

The radius of convergence for a power series is a positive real number R that determines the interval of values for which the series converges. The series will converge for all complex numbers z satisfying |z-z0| < R, and will diverge for all complex numbers z satisfying |z-z0| > R. The value of R can be found using the ratio test or the root test.

3. How is a complex function represented using a power series?

A complex function can be represented using a power series by expressing the function as an infinite sum of powers of z-z0, where z0 is the center of the series. This is done by finding the coefficients cn that satisfy the power series equation f(z) = ∑n=0 cn(z-z0)n. This representation is especially useful for calculating values of the function near z0, as it allows for easy evaluation of the function using a finite number of terms.

4. What is the difference between a Taylor series and a power series?

A Taylor series is a type of power series that is centered at z0=0, and is used to approximate a function near this point. A power series, on the other hand, can be centered at any complex number z0 and is used to represent a function as an infinite sum of powers of z-z0. In other words, a Taylor series is a special case of a power series.

5. How can power series be used to find derivatives and integrals of complex functions?

Power series can be used to find derivatives and integrals of complex functions by taking advantage of the fact that power series can be differentiated and integrated term by term. This means that if f(z) is represented by a power series f(z) = ∑n=0 cn(z-z0)n, then the derivative of f(z) can be found by differentiating each term and leaving the center z0 unchanged. Similarly, the integral of f(z) can be found by integrating each term and adding a constant C to the resulting power series.