How does this expansion work?

In summary, when given a cylindrically symmetric magnetic field with zero divergence, taking a Taylor expansion and substituting in the condition gives B_r = -r*(dB_z/dz) + z(dB_r/dz) for z = z_0. However, for small values of r and z = z_0, the book suggests using B_r = -(r/2)*(dB_z/dz), which may be due to the fact that the zero divergence condition demands B_r(0, z_0) = 0.
Mothrog
OK, I'm given a magnetic field and told the field is cylindrically symmetric. Obviously, divergence of B must be zero, so taking the divergence in cylindrical coordinates,

(1/r)(B_r) + (dB_r/dr) = -(dB_z/dz)

where B_r is the radial component of the vector and B_z is the z component of the vector.

Then, taking a Taylor expansion about r = 0, z = z_0,

B_r = B_r(0, z_0) + r*(dB_r/dr) + (z - z_0)*(dB_r/dz)

Substituting in the condition from the divergence,

B_r = -r*(dB_z/dz) + z(dB_r/dz)

So, for z = z_0,

B_r = -r*(dB_z/dz)

But, my book says that for small values of r, and z = z_0

B_r = -(r/2)*(dB_z/dz)

Anyone know where that factor of 1/2 might be coming from?

Physics news on Phys.org
Mothrog said:
OK, I'm given a magnetic field and told the field is cylindrically symmetric. Obviously, divergence of B must be zero, so taking the divergence in cylindrical coordinates,

(1/r)(B_r) + (dB_r/dr) = -(dB_z/dz)

where B_r is the radial component of the vector and B_z is the z component of the vector.

Then, taking a Taylor expansion about r = 0, z = z_0,

B_r = B_r(0, z_0) + r*(dB_r/dr) + (z - z_0)*(dB_r/dz)

Substituting in the condition from the divergence,

So, for z = z_0,

B_r = -r*(dB_z/dz)

But, my book says that for small values of r, and z = z_0

B_r = -(r/2)*(dB_z/dz)

Anyone know where that factor of 1/2 might be coming from?
Doesn't the zero divergence condition demand that B_r(0, z_0) = 0? And I don't see where you get this
What happened to the z_0?

I see a 1/2 in there if you incorporate this.

1. How does this expansion affect the overall economy?

The expansion works by increasing the money supply, which can lead to economic growth. This can stimulate consumer spending and business investment, ultimately boosting economic activity.

2. Will this expansion lead to inflation?

In theory, an expansion can lead to inflation if it causes too much money to chase too few goods and services. However, central banks often monitor and adjust the expansion to prevent excessive inflation.

3. What is the impact of this expansion on interest rates?

In general, expansionary policies aim to lower interest rates, making it cheaper for individuals and businesses to borrow money. This can encourage increased spending and investment, leading to economic growth.

4. How does this expansion affect stock prices?

Expansionary policies can boost stock prices by stimulating economic growth and increasing investor confidence. However, the market's reaction to an expansion can vary depending on other factors such as global economic conditions and company-specific news.

5. What is the difference between fiscal and monetary expansion?

Fiscal expansion refers to government policies that increase spending and decrease taxes, while monetary expansion involves the central bank increasing the money supply through actions such as lowering interest rates or buying government securities. Both aim to stimulate economic growth but through different channels.