Why Am I Leaving These Forums?

• Thread starter Orthodontist
  • Start date
In summary, a junior CS & Math student at UMass, who had a 3.9 GPA, was banned for making things up and will not be returning to the forums. They had contributed to the forums for over a year, but were recently banned for making a true statement about SHARP, a group that can be found through Google search. The individual was also accused of trolling and making false arguments by other members, leading to a 3 day ban. Despite being welcome back, the individual has decided not to return due to feeling attacked and unwelcome.
Orthodontist
I am a junior CS & Math student at UMass. My GPA is 3.9. I liked these forums and felt I had something to contribute.

You have been banned for the following reason: I warned you to stop making things up

Date the ban will be lifted: 12-12-2006, 11:00 PM

I'm leaving these forums. In the past year I made over 1000 posts in my time here and someone thought I was deserving of the badge Science Advisor. I helped many people with their homework assignments, had many discussions that I thought were interesting, but I have been attacked and recently banned for 3 days for making a true statement about SHARP. I am sorry.

Information on SHARP may be found here. I was banned for claiming they are who they claim to be, namely skinheads. Also Evo has felt that I was unreasonable. I have to agree that I may have crossed the line when I wondered if she was opposed to free speech, though I tried to be as polite there as I could. But nothing else I said seems unreasonable to me. I guess you will have to judge for yourself, but I'm not coming back. It is too hostile here.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&client=opera&rls=en&hs=HLa&q=SHARP+skinhead&btnG=Search

This makes me very sad.

By the way, I am not a skinhead, in case anyone got that impression.

evo said:
You are nothing but a troll. Take advantage of your 3 day vacation and if you return, try not to make things up anymore. Trolling will not be tolerated here.

evo wants me to leave. I am going to. Why would I stay in a place where powerful people hate me? I am not a troll.

This makes me very sad. But I will find other things to do with my time.

Goodbye,

-0rthodontist

Science is what we understand well enough to explain to a computer. Art is everything else we do. --Donald Knuth

Physics news on Phys.org
I gave you a 3 day vacation to stop and think about how you falsify arguments. You make a statement, then google to see if you can back it up. You create strawman arguments. You put words into people's mouths that clearly are not their intent. When this is pointed out to you,you press on with your fallacious arguments.

You are welcome here, but you need to stop making things up. If you can't argue against what someone actually says, then don't.

You have a 3 day cooling off period. Think about it. I'm not opposed to further discussion on this.

Last edited:
He'll be back, they always come back, muhhaahhahahahhahaahah.

I got to add one thing, when we were discussing a thread in the past (the tazing at UCLA (Please don't bring it back up, lol) you were doing the same thing that you did in the imam thread. You kept insisting that other people were not understanding your questions/responses and twisted a lot of words. So while I didn't really take offense or anything, it made it impossible to discuss/debate it with you.

I am definitely not saying you are a troll, but in some respects you acted like one, right? Insisting 3 times that people did not 'understand' your question is crazy dude. I just thought that I would remind you that you did the same thing recently and perhaps this issue has built up over a few threads. Anyways, I hope to see you back/get to know you, I think that you can solve this problem quite easily.

Last edited:
Better to just avoid the politics forum; there are a bunch of nuts there that never discuss anything in a civilized manner, and more often than not "discussions" turn into huge flame wars.

mattmns said:
Better to just avoid the politics forum; there are a bunch of nuts there that never discuss anything in a civilized manner, and more often than not "discussions" turn into huge flame wars.

Whoa, this discussion isn't about me buddy. Stay on topic.

Fools rush in where angels fear to tread

Meaning:

Foolish people are often reckless, attempting feats that the wise avoid. This saying is from “An Essay on Criticism,” by Alexander Pope.

Wait,that's my forum... :frown:

cyrusabdollahi said:
Whoa, this discussion isn't about me buddy. Stay on topic.
Everything is about you :smile: And by the way, you are not gold anymore :eek:

mattmns said:
And by the way, you are not gold anymore :eek:
:bugeye: It can't have been a year already?

1. Why am I leaving these forums?

There could be a variety of reasons why you are considering leaving these forums. Some common reasons include lack of time to participate, feeling like the community no longer meets your needs, or experiencing conflict with other members.

2. Will I miss out on anything by leaving?

It depends on your personal goals and reasons for joining the forums. If you were using the forums to gain knowledge or connect with others, you may miss out on valuable information or connections. However, if the forums were not fulfilling for you, leaving may not have a significant impact.

3. Can I come back to the forums if I change my mind?

Yes, typically forums allow users to deactivate their accounts and come back at a later time. However, it's important to check the forum's policies and procedures for reactivating accounts to ensure a smooth return.

4. How will my departure affect the community?

It's unlikely that your departure will have a significant impact on the community as a whole. Most forums have a large number of members and are constantly gaining new ones. However, if you were a highly active and valued member, your absence may be noticed and missed by some members.

5. Are there any alternatives to leaving the forums?

If you are considering leaving due to a specific issue or conflict, it may be worth addressing it with the forum moderators or other members before making a final decision. Alternatively, you could take a break from the forums and come back at a later time when you feel ready to participate again.