What is the Intensity of Light at a Point Composed of Multiple Phasors?

In summary, the method for adding sinusoids is to convert them to phasors, add them in cartesian form, and then convert back to polar form. It is important to keep the phase information until directly reporting the answer.
Amith2006

Homework Statement

1) At a given point in space, the total light wave is composed of 3 phasors P1 = a, P2 = (a/2)e^(i(theta)), P3 = (a/2)e^(-i(theta)). What is the intensity of light at this point?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I solved it in the following way:
P = P1 + P2 + P3
= a + (a/2)e^(i(theta)) + (a/2)e^(-i(theta))
= a + (a/2)[cos(theta) + isin(theta) + cos(theta) - isin(theta)]
= a + acos(theta)
= 2acos^2(theta/2)
I = P^2
= 4a^2cos^4(theta/2)

But if P3 = ae^(-i(theta)) then this method won’t work, isn’t it? So could someone suggest a more general way to solve such problems?

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't know what you did for the fourth step, the cos^2 one. Seems okay if that fourth step is legitimate. Why doesn't the method work when you change P3?

The general method to adding sinusoids is exactly what you did. You want to convert them to phasors, as was done for you, and then add in their cartesian coordinates. Then, usually it is nice to take your summation from cartesian back to polar.

Mindscrape said:
I don't know what you did for the fourth step, the cos^2 one. Seems okay if that fourth step is legitimate. Why doesn't the method work when you change P3?

The general method to adding sinusoids is exactly what you did. You want to convert them to phasors, as was done for you, and then add in their cartesian coordinates. Then, usually it is nice to take your summation from cartesian back to polar.

Suppose P1 = a, P2 = (a/2)e^(i(theta)), P3 = (a)e^(-i(theta))
P = a + (a/2)e^(i(theta)) + (a)e^(-i(theta))
= a + (a/2)[cos(theta) + isin(theta)] + a[cos(theta) - isin(theta)]
= a + (a/2)[3cos(theta) - isin(theta)]
How do u proceed further? In the previous case, the imaginary part got cancelled, but that is not the case here.Please help!:confused:

Note that waves don't actually have imaginary parts. The i seen in the phasor representation is actually the rectangular form for representation of the phasor.
This representation is adopted to make addition of phasors easier. After operating, it is better to convert to polar form which gives you magnitude and relative angle. In essence these are mathematical tools that make such operations easier.

To give you an idea, use what you have learned in complex nos. The absolute value of the complex no is given by [tex]\sqrt{x^2+y^2}[/tex] and the angle wrt the x-axis is given by [tex]tan^{-1}(\frac{y}{x})[/tex]. Similarly, in the case of phasors the first former gives the magnitude and the latter, the phasor angle relative to other phasors. Can you do your problem now ?

arunbg said:
Note that waves don't actually have imaginary parts. The i seen in the phasor representation is actually the rectangular form for representation of the phasor.
This representation is adopted to make addition of phasors easier. After operating, it is better to convert to polar form which gives you magnitude and relative angle. In essence these are mathematical tools that make such operations easier.

To give you an idea, use what you have learned in complex nos. The absolute value of the complex no is given by [tex]\sqrt{x^2+y^2}[/tex] and the angle wrt the x-axis is given by [tex]tan^{-1}(\frac{y}{x})[/tex]. Similarly, in the case of phasors the first former gives the magnitude and the latter, the phasor angle relative to other phasors. Can you do your problem now ?

I have solved it with whatever I could understand from you. Please see if it is right. I have assumed a to be amplitude.
P = (a/2)[(2 + 3cos(theta)) - isin(theta)]
|P| = (a/2)[(2 + 3cos(theta))^2 + sin^2(theta)]^(1/2)
= (a/2)[4 + 9cos^2(theta) + 6cos(theta) + sin^2(theta)]^(1/2)
= (a/2)[8cos^2(theta) + 6cos(theta) + 5]^(1/2)
Intensity = |P|^2
= ((a^2)/4)[ 8cos^2(theta) + 6cos(theta) + 5]

Yes, that would be the intensity, but you don't want to lose the phase information either. I would keep it until you directly report your answer.

Thanks for sharing your knowledge with me.

1. What is the definition of intensity of light at a point?

The intensity of light at a point is the amount of light energy that passes through a unit area at that point per unit time. It is typically measured in watts per square meter (W/m^2).

2. How is the intensity of light at a point measured?

The intensity of light at a point can be measured using a light meter, which measures the amount of light energy falling on a specific area. It can also be calculated by dividing the total power of the light source by the area over which the light is distributed.

3. What factors affect the intensity of light at a point?

The intensity of light at a point can be affected by the distance from the light source, the type of light source, the transparency of the medium through which the light is passing, and the angle at which the light is hitting the surface.

4. How does the intensity of light at a point change with distance?

The intensity of light at a point decreases as the distance from the light source increases. This is due to the spreading out of light rays over a larger area as they travel further away from the source.

5. What are some real-world applications of understanding the intensity of light at a point?

Understanding the intensity of light at a point is crucial in various fields, such as photography, astronomy, and lighting design. It can also be used in medical imaging to determine the amount of radiation being delivered to a specific area of the body.