How Does Angular Velocity Change in a Swinging Rod with Masses?

• Thread starter dkgojackets
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Hinge Rod
In summary, the question asks for the angular velocity of a massless rod with two attached masses as it swings from rest at a horizontal position to its lowest point. Using moment of inertia and energy conservation, the total moment of inertia is calculated to be (5/4)mL^2 and the initial potential energy is 2mgL. At the bottom, the mass in the middle has potential energy mgL and the system has kinetic energy (.5)Iw^2. The system can be treated as pure rotation about the hinge and all of the energies must sum to the initial potential energy of 2mgL. The final position of the mass in the middle is L/2 from one end.
dkgojackets

Homework Statement

A massless rod length L has a small mass m attached to the center and another mass m attached at one end. On the opposite end, the rod is hinged to a frictionless hinge. The rod is released from rest at a horizontal position and swings down. What is the angular velocity as it swings through its lowest (vertical) point? Solve in terms of g and L.

Homework Equations

use moment of inertia, energy conservation

The Attempt at a Solution

I determined the total moment of inertia of the two masses to be (5/4)mL^2. I know that initial potential energy is 2mgL (setting bottom point of swing as zero). At the bottom, the mass in the middle has PE mgL, the system has KEr of (.5)Iw^2, and both masses have a translational kinetic energy. All of this must sum to the intial 2mgL? I think I am just missing a step in the algebra.

Physics news on Phys.org
The position of the mass in the middle is L/2 from one end, not L (redo your PE terms). Also, you can treat the system as being in pure rotation about the hinge.

Your approach is correct. To find the angular velocity, you can use the principle of conservation of energy. At the top of the swing, the only form of energy present is potential energy, which is equal to 2mgL. At the bottom of the swing, the potential energy is converted into kinetic energy, which is equal to the sum of the rotational kinetic energy and the translational kinetic energy. This can be expressed as:

2mgL = (1/2)(5/4)mL^2w^2 + 2(1/2)mw^2

Solving for w, we get:

w = √(8g/5L)

Therefore, the angular velocity at the bottom of the swing is √(8g/5L).

1. What is a rod released on a hinge?

A rod released on a hinge is a type of mechanical device that uses a hinged joint to allow a rod or lever to move in a controlled manner. This allows for smooth and precise movement, making it useful in various applications such as doors, gates, and machinery.

2. How does a rod released on a hinge work?

A rod released on a hinge works by using a pivot point or hinge that allows the rod to rotate or swing in a specific direction. This movement can be controlled by the angle and position of the hinge, as well as the length and shape of the rod itself.

3. What are the advantages of using a rod released on a hinge?

One of the main advantages of using a rod released on a hinge is its ability to provide smooth and precise movement. It also allows for a wide range of motion and can be easily adjusted to fit different applications. Additionally, it is a simple and cost-effective solution for many mechanical needs.

4. What are some common uses for a rod released on a hinge?

A rod released on a hinge can be used in various applications, including doors, windows, gates, and machinery. It is also commonly used in automotive and aerospace industries for its ability to provide controlled movement and adjustability.

5. How can I choose the right rod released on a hinge for my project?

When choosing a rod released on a hinge, it is important to consider factors such as the weight and size of the object it will be used for, the range of motion needed, and the environment it will be in. It is also helpful to consult with a professional or refer to product specifications to ensure the best fit for your project.