Solving Sleeping Problem: Stop Myself from Sleeping on Limbs

• Thread starter Bubonic Plague
  • Start date
In summary, there is no way to stop oneself from sleeping on one's limbs. Repeating this habit leads to a dead arm. One solution is to get a smaller bed, and to sleep with a partner.
Bubonic Plague
Is there anyway to stop myself from sleeping on my limbs? Because it's really scary to wake up half way through the night and find that i can't move my arm cause i slept on it and stopped blood circulation to it, and this happens almost every night...

And no, tying my arms to the bed post isn't a viable solution...

Biology news on Phys.org
One solution would be an arm sling such as the type used for dislocated shoulders. There is usually a wrap to go around the abdomen and it's attached to another wrap that goes around the upper arm, thus keeping the arm from being raised or abducted. Getting used to sleeping with it might take a little time...

I don't know what position you sleep in, but perhaps a large pillow you could put your arms around or a couple of small pillows in the right places will keep you from tucking your arms under you, without restricting your movements too much.

What kind of mattress are you lying on?

Originally posted by Monique
Yeah, and what it your sleep number? (sorry bad joke on a stupid commercial...)
Actually, what is your sleep POSITION? (What is your position when you wake up with a dead arm?) Maybe you just need a good old fashioned straight jacket and a friend to tie you to the bed!

I don't know what position you sleep in
Actually, what is your sleep POSITION?

Sometimes i lie with my arms outstretched, or sometimes i'd sleep on my stomach. But it doesn't really matter, cause i move a hell lot when i sleep, so i still get into dead arm positions.

That matters?

What is your position when you wake up with a dead arm?

Sometimes my arm is tucked under my head, tucked under my back, or tucked
under my stomach.

Maybe you just need a good old fashioned straight jacket and a friend to tie you to the bed!

Haha. If i had a friend there to tie me to the bed everynight, i wouldn't need to ask how to solve my sleeping problem would i?

Last edited:
I wouldn't worry too much about it while you search for a solution...I have been doing the same thing my entire life, and I haven't lost a limb or anything. I've gotten better about it, one thing you could try is getting a smaller bed. What I ended up doing is piling a bunch of big pillows next to me in bed, so I just don't have the room to move around a lot on the bed.

I went through a long phase of this. The worst part is trying to turn off your alarm. My arm would swing over to the nightstand and smash into everything there.

First, can you identify why you're doing it. For years I had never needed much in the way of blankets, but when I got a little older, my arms started getting cold at night. I tucked them under me to keep them warm.

Other possibilities are for support. You could try getting another pillow, or a better mattress.

Any solution you try will probably take a while to be effective. You've developed habits, and they will not go away just because the initiator of the habit has been removed.

Njorl

Maybe your mattress is not comfortable so you move a lot in your sleep? Or it is too hard so that it allows circulation to be cut, or it is too soft that it allows incorrect body posture.. you could visit a mattress store and see if they ever heard the complaint..

How about a full-body pillow? If you wrap yourself around it, maybe you won't crush your arms.

I do this too. Its not too bad right now, but when I was in the Navy, the bunks were so small I was always on top of my arms and I'm sure that's why my shoulders crack every time I swing a golf club (well, that and high school wrestling).

Find a partner to spoon with and put your arms around her/him.

Nautica
[zz)]

How about a full-body pillow? If you wrap yourself around it, maybe you won't crush your arms.

Like a bolster? Nah, i always kick or push it to the floor while i sleep.

I'm going to try changing my mattress tonight and pile in lots of pillows.

Originally posted by Bubonic Plague
Like a bolster? Nah, i always kick or push it to the floor while i sleep.

I'm going to try changing my mattress tonight and pile in lots of pillows.
WHAT?! No straight jacket?

WHAT?! No straight jacket?

Yeah. Too bad huh.

1. How can I stop myself from sleeping on my limbs?

The best way to stop yourself from sleeping on your limbs is to adjust your sleeping position. This can be done by using pillows to prop up your arms or legs, or by using a body pillow to support your entire body. Another method is to use a wedge pillow to elevate your upper body, which can also help prevent you from rolling onto your limbs.

2. Why is it important to stop sleeping on my limbs?

Sleeping on your limbs can cause restricted blood flow, which can lead to numbness, tingling, and even nerve damage. It can also put pressure on your joints and cause discomfort or pain. Additionally, sleeping on your limbs can disrupt your sleep and leave you feeling groggy and fatigued the next day.

3. Are there any specific techniques or exercises to help prevent sleeping on my limbs?

Yes, there are some techniques and exercises that can help prevent you from sleeping on your limbs. These include practicing good sleep hygiene, such as avoiding caffeine and electronics before bed, and doing stretches or yoga poses that target the areas where you tend to sleep on your limbs. You can also try using relaxation techniques, such as deep breathing or meditation, to help you fall asleep in a more comfortable position.

4. Can sleeping on my limbs cause long-term damage?

In some cases, sleeping on your limbs can cause long-term damage, such as nerve compression or joint issues. However, this is usually only a concern if you consistently sleep in the same position and put excessive pressure on your limbs. It is important to address this issue and make changes to your sleeping habits to prevent any potential long-term damage.

5. Should I consult a doctor if I am having trouble stopping myself from sleeping on my limbs?

If you are experiencing persistent discomfort or pain from sleeping on your limbs, it is important to consult a doctor. They can help determine the root cause of your sleeping problem and provide personalized recommendations to help you address it. They may also recommend physical therapy or other treatments to help alleviate any pain or discomfort caused by sleeping on your limbs.