Another practice question: nortons theorem

• Thread starter amy_a
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Theorem
In summary, Norton's theorem states that the Norton equivalent circuit is equivalent to the Thevenin equivalent circuit, with the only difference being that the Norton equivalent uses a current source in parallel with a resistor, while the Thevenin equivalent uses a voltage source in series with a resistor. To determine the current through RL, voltage across RL, and power developed in RL using the theorem, one must consider all resistors except for R4 and follow the steps of the Nortons procedure. This involves calculating the short-circuit current, output resistance, and then using these values in the Norton-source and Output resistance equations.
amy_a
hi guys, sorry to be a bothersome newbie but i have another electrical query. this time its nortons theorem. i need to determine the current through RL, the voltage across RL and the power developed in RL using the theorem.

any pointers on where to start would be really appreciated :!)

Attachments

• 22.bmp
    21.3 KB · Views: 536
Physics news on Phys.org
R(Norton) = R (Thevenin).
I(Norton) = [E/(R1+(R2//R3))]*[(R2//R3)/R3]

Regards,

Nacer.

thanks nacer, i'd best get to work :)

ok forgive my naivety but what do the double backslashes indicate? // like that? i know the single one is divide. i feel really retarded now.

amy_a said:
ok forgive my naivety but what do the double backslashes indicate? // like that? i know the single one is divide. i feel really retarded now.

I think he is referring to a parallel combination, i.e R1//R2 = (R1*R2)/(R1+R2)

Norton equivalent is no different from Thevenin. Norton equi. = Current Source with a resistor in parallel and Thevenin has voltage source and resistor in series. So, basically you can apply your knowledge of Thevenin equivalents from antoher thread :biggrin: and then just replace a thevenin equ that you'll get with Nortons

thanks guys :) i appreciate it! can anyone tell me why r4 is not considered when calculating the current (using the equation given by nacer) would i just have to apply that formula to the diagram above to find the norton current?

Every resistor excluding Rl&R4 has to be considered, because you're looking for so-called short-circuit current, so when you have a direct connection between the RL terminals, where does the current go? Since the current is looking for the easiest path, the path with least resistance, it will go just via a direct connection, rather then going via R4.

Check out this link to get more info.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Norton's_theorem

I suggest that you read up on the Nortons procedure.

1. Calculate the short-circuit current by applying the direct connection between output terminals
2. Calculate output resistance by replacing the voltage source with a short-circuit
3. Norton-source = short-circuit current & Output resistance = resistance from step 2.

1. What is Norton's theorem?

Norton's theorem is a circuit analysis technique that allows us to simplify complex circuits into a single current source and a parallel resistance. This theorem is named after its inventor, Edward Norton, and is often used in electrical engineering and physics.

2. How is Norton's theorem different from Thevenin's theorem?

Norton's theorem is based on the idea that any linear circuit can be represented by a current source and a parallel resistance, while Thevenin's theorem states that any linear circuit can be represented by a voltage source and a series resistance. Essentially, Norton's theorem is the current equivalent of Thevenin's theorem.

3. When is Norton's theorem useful?

Norton's theorem is useful when analyzing complex circuits, as it allows us to simplify the circuit and focus on specific components. It is particularly helpful in solving for current and power in a circuit.

4. What is the formula for calculating the Norton equivalent current and resistance?

The Norton equivalent current is equal to the short-circuit current of the original circuit, and the Norton equivalent resistance is equal to the resistance seen from the two terminals of the circuit when all independent sources are turned off.

5. Can Norton's theorem be used for non-linear circuits?

No, Norton's theorem can only be used for linear circuits. Non-linear circuits do not follow Ohm's law, which is a fundamental principle for Norton's theorem to hold true.