Is Jefimenko's Approach to Relativity Based on Retarded Potentials Valid?

• Thread starter Marc Millis
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about a previous discussion on Jefimenko's work and a request for a summary of its points and counter points. The speaker remembers that Jefimenko uses a retarded potential perspective to construct relativity and has two books on the subject, but has not had a chance to delve deeper into it. They ask for a summary from those who have looked into it, including the utility and soundness of Jefimenko's approach. Another person responds that they have checked the author's work on the web and it seems to only present elementary electromagnetic theory and does not offer much to be learned.
Marc Millis
I know this has been discussed here previously, but alas, I lost track. =20
Would any of you be so kind as to summarize the points / counter points=20
of Jefimenko's work?
From what little I remember, I got the impression=20
that Jefimenko is merely taking a retarded potential perspective (
propagation time considerations) to construct relativity rather than=20
starting with Lorentz transformations. I wanted to look at it further (
and have two of his books), but have not yet.
So, for those of you that=20
have looked at it, I'd appreciate a summary of the points, counter=20
points, and lingering unknowns regarding the utility and soundness of=20
the Jefimenko approach.

Thanks in advance,

Marc

Physics news on Phys.org
I checked what I could on the web about this author.
I only found elementary electromagnetic theory presented sometimes with useless length.
Look like there is nothing to be learned.

Sure, I'll be happy to provide a refresher on Jefimenko's work. Jefimenko is a physicist who proposed an alternative approach to constructing relativity, based on the concept of the retarded potential. This approach takes into account the propagation time of electromagnetic interactions, rather than starting with Lorentz transformations like traditional relativity theories.

Some of the key points of Jefimenko's work include the idea that the speed of light is not a constant, but rather depends on the relative motion of the observer and the source of light. This is in contrast to Einstein's theory of relativity, which states that the speed of light is always constant.

Another important aspect of Jefimenko's work is his theory of two-way light propagation, which suggests that light travels in both directions between an observer and a source, rather than just one-way as traditionally believed.

However, there are also counterpoints to Jefimenko's work. Some critics argue that his theory is not supported by experimental evidence and is not as mathematically rigorous as traditional relativity theories.

There are also lingering unknowns about the utility and soundness of Jefimenko's approach. While some physicists find his ideas intriguing and worthy of further exploration, others remain skeptical and believe that traditional relativity theories are more accurate and reliable.

I hope this summary helps to refresh your understanding of Jefimenko's work. If you have any further questions, please let me know.

What is the Jefimenko equation?

The Jefimenko equation is a set of equations that describe the electric and magnetic fields produced by time-varying electric charges and currents.

Why is a refresher needed on Jefimenko?

A refresher may be needed on Jefimenko because the equations are complex and may not be easily remembered or understood without regular review.

What applications does the Jefimenko equation have?

The Jefimenko equation has applications in electromagnetism, such as in the study of electromagnetic waves, antennas, and electromagnetic radiation.

How can I use the Jefimenko equation?

The Jefimenko equation can be used to calculate the electric and magnetic fields in a given scenario, as long as the necessary parameters are known and the equations are properly applied.

Are there any limitations to the Jefimenko equation?

Yes, the Jefimenko equation is only valid in the absence of magnetic monopoles and steady currents. Additionally, it does not take into account quantum effects.