Looking for the name of a class of ODE:

• Thread starter Monochrome
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Class Ode
In summary, the conversation discusses an exact differential equation and its relation to the potential function in physics. The function \phi is a general solution to the equation and represents a conservative force field. The conversation also clarifies a typo and explains the use of partial derivatives in this context.
Monochrome

Homework Statement

[tex]M(x,y)y^{'}(x) + N(x,y) = 0[/tex]
There exists:
[tex]\phi(x,y)[/tex]
Such that
[tex]\frac{\partial\phi(x,y)}{\partial x}=N(x,y)[/tex]

[tex]\frac{\partial\phi(x,y)}{\partial y}=M(x,y)[/tex]

I'm not looking for a solution to anything particular to this but I can't find the type in my notes and I can't google it unless I know the name.

Physics news on Phys.org
That is an exact equation since
[tex]d\phi= M(x,y)dy+ NIx,y)dx[/itex]
is an exact differential.

Of course, since the differential equation says [itex]d\phi= 0[/itex], [itex]\phi(x,y)= 0[/itex] is the general solution.

By the way, in physics, such a differential would correspond to a "conservative force field" and the function [itex]\phi[/itex] would be the "potential function".

Thanks.
Just a question: The I after the N is a typo yes? And how did you get [itex]d\phi= 0[/itex]?

Last edited:
Yex, that was a typo- my finger was aiming at "("!

Since [itex]\phi[/itex] is a function of both x and y, [itex]d\phi /dx[/itex] would make no sense. By the chain rule, if x and y are functions of some third variable, t,
[tex]\frac{d\phi}{dt}= \frac{\partial \phi}{\partial x}\frac{dx}{dt}+ \frac{\partial \phi}{\partial y}\frac{dy}{dt}[/tex]
or, in differential notation,
[tex]d\phi= \frac{\partial \phi}{\partial x}dx+ \frac{\partial \phi}{\partial y}dy[/tex]

HallsofIvy said:
Yex, that was a typo-

:rofl:

Thanks I forgot that this was dealing with partials. It makes sense now.

1. What is a class of ODE?

A class of ODE (ordinary differential equation) is a set of equations that share similar characteristics and can be solved using the same methods. These equations typically involve a function and its derivatives, and the goal is to find a solution to the equation that satisfies certain initial or boundary conditions.

2. How are classes of ODEs classified?

Classes of ODEs are typically classified based on the order of the derivative, the number of equations, and the types of functions involved. For example, first-order ODEs have a derivative of the first order, while second-order ODEs have a derivative of the second order. Additionally, ODEs can be linear or nonlinear, autonomous or non-autonomous, and can involve different types of functions such as trigonometric or exponential functions.

3. What are some common classes of ODEs?

Some common classes of ODEs include first-order linear ODEs, second-order linear ODEs, and systems of ODEs. These classes can be further broken down into sub-classes, such as homogeneous and non-homogeneous ODEs, depending on the specific characteristics of the equations.

4. What are the methods for solving different classes of ODEs?

The methods for solving ODEs vary depending on the class and characteristics of the equations. Some common methods include separation of variables, variation of parameters, and substitution. Other methods, such as Laplace transforms and power series, can be used for more complex ODEs.

5. How are classes of ODEs used in real-world applications?

Classes of ODEs are used in a wide range of real-world applications, including physics, engineering, biology, and economics. They can be used to model and predict the behavior of systems, such as the motion of objects, the growth of populations, or the flow of fluids. ODEs are also essential in the fields of control theory and optimization, where they are used to design and analyze systems for optimal performance.