Mass Balance & Waste generation

In summary, the conversation discusses constructing a mass balance for a cake and the waste generated in the process. The materials used for the cake are listed and it is mentioned that egg shells and other materials can be considered as waste. It is also stated that there is more waste in a factory setting and around 1-2% of materials can be lost as waste. Additionally, water vapor and residue in the pan are also considered as waste. The individual receives advice and expresses gratitude for the help.
chemeguy
Hello everyone!

So I'm working on constructing a simple mass balance for a cake. I didn't have any problems doing that, but I was asked about waste that is generated in the process of making the cake. Is there really a waste generated in this kind of process? I've also been asked to discuss how the amounts of waste generation changes when it is being produced in a factory setting.

Here is the materials that I'm using for the cake:

Flour, eggs, oil, water, baking powder and heat

I was thinking that egg shells will be generated as waste. Thats all I came up with.

Please give me some advice if you have any. Thanks.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Coming from the compounding side there is more waste than you would think.

Any powdered material will be sucked into the dust collection system. Oil/water will get spilled, eggs will be broken etc. I think you can safely say 1-2% is lost as waste.

Water will also be evloved in the baking as water vapor.

And is every cake removed completely from the pan?

Thanks a lot for the help. I have a better understanding of what to do now. Thank you.

1. What is mass balance and why is it important in waste management?

Mass balance refers to the accounting of all materials that enter and leave a system. In waste management, it is important to track the amount of waste generated and disposed of in order to properly manage and reduce the impact on the environment.

2. How is waste generation measured?

Waste generation is typically measured in terms of weight, volume, or number of units. This can be done through direct measurement, such as weighing waste in a landfill, or through estimation based on factors such as population and consumption patterns.

3. What factors contribute to waste generation?

There are many factors that contribute to waste generation, including population growth, economic development, consumer behavior, and industrial activities. The type and amount of waste generated also vary depending on the region, culture, and technology used.

4. How can waste generation be reduced?

Waste generation can be reduced through various strategies, such as implementing recycling and composting programs, promoting sustainable consumption and production, and investing in waste-to-energy technologies. It is also important to educate the public about the importance of waste reduction and proper waste management practices.

5. What are the potential consequences of unsustainable waste generation?

Unsustainable waste generation can lead to various negative consequences, including air and water pollution, depletion of natural resources, and harm to human health and the environment. It can also contribute to climate change and impact biodiversity. Therefore, it is crucial to manage waste in a sustainable and responsible manner.