Solving the Filtered Amplifier Puzzle

In summary: This means that the minus signs in the transfer functions can be ignored, making them positive. This also means that the solution you obtained for Cf (which is a complex number) is incorrect. In summary, the transfer functions for the two amplifiers are multiplied to obtain the overall transfer function, and the absolute value of the transfer function must be used when working with magnitudes of signals.
engineer23

Homework Statement

We have a filtered amplifier (diagram is attached). We do not know Cf or Rf.
We know that:
1 volt input at 5 Hz = 9.25 volt output
1 volt input at 200 Hz = 6.77 volt output
1 volt input at 500 Hz = 3.66 volt output

Homework Equations

The transfer function for the first amplifier is H(w) = -Zf/Zi = -10000/2000=-5
The transfer function for the second amplifier is H(w) = -Zf/Zi, where Zi = 5000 and
Zf = Rf/(Rf j w Cf + 1).

The Attempt at a Solution

If we multiply the two transfer functions above, we obtain
H(w) = V0/Vi = Rf/(1000(Rf j w Cf + 1))

I multiplied the frequencies by 2*pi and made appropriate substitutions in the above equation to get the following three expressions:
9.25 = Rf/(1000(31.4159 Rf j Cf + 1))
6.77 = Rf/(1000(1256.64 Rf j Cf + 1))
3.66 = Rf/(1000(3141.59 Rf j Cf + 1))

Three equations for only two unknowns?

I get that Cf = -5.3E-8 i and Rf = 9395.

What am I doing wrong?

Attachments

• circuit.jpg
    circuit.jpg
    13.6 KB · Views: 355
Physics news on Phys.org
engineer23 said:
I multiplied the frequencies by 2*pi and made appropriate substitutions in the above equation to get the following three expressions:
9.25 = Rf/(1000(31.4159 Rf j Cf + 1))
6.77 = Rf/(1000(1256.64 Rf j Cf + 1))
3.66 = Rf/(1000(3141.59 Rf j Cf + 1))

Since you are only given the magnitudes (and not the phases) of the input and output signals you must work with the absolute value of the transfer function.

It seems that you have made a mistake in your calculations. Multiplying the transfer functions will lead to a transfer function that is not consistent with the given output values. Instead, you should use the transfer function for the first amplifier (H(w) = -5) and the transfer function for the second amplifier (H(w) = -Zf/Zi), and equate them to the given output values. This will lead to three equations for three unknowns (Rf, Cf, and Zi), which can be solved simultaneously to find the values of Rf and Cf.

1. What is a filtered amplifier?

A filtered amplifier is a type of electronic circuit that amplifies a specific frequency or range of frequencies while attenuating all other frequencies. It is commonly used in audio and radio frequency applications to amplify and filter out unwanted signals.

2. How does a filtered amplifier work?

A filtered amplifier works by passing the input signal through a series of components, such as capacitors and resistors, that are specifically designed to attenuate certain frequencies while amplifying others. This allows the desired signal to pass through while blocking out unwanted signals.

3. What are the components of a filtered amplifier?

The main components of a filtered amplifier include resistors, capacitors, inductors, and operational amplifiers. These components work together to amplify and filter the input signal to produce a desired output.

4. What are the applications of a filtered amplifier?

Filtered amplifiers are commonly used in audio and radio frequency applications, such as in audio systems, televisions, and radios. They are also used in communication systems, signal processing, and instrumentation.

5. How do I design a filtered amplifier?

To design a filtered amplifier, you will need to have a good understanding of electronic circuit design principles and knowledge of the specific application for which the amplifier will be used. You will also need to determine the desired frequency range and gain of the amplifier and select appropriate components to achieve these specifications.