Is it healthy to bicycle ALL THE TIME?

• Medical
  • Thread starter Skhandelwal
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Bicycle Time
In summary, using a bicycle machine as a desk is not a bad idea as long as it is done at a slow pace to avoid tissue damage or inflammation. It is similar to using a standing CRT machine, but at a much slower speed. It is important to start slowly and gradually increase the time spent using the machine to avoid potential risks. The main reason why it is not good for the body is because of the lack of oxygen and potential strain on the muscles.
Skhandelwal
Since, the only reason we get tired and muscles wear out is b/c of lack of oxygen...if I drive the bicycle machine really slowly, and do all my word on it...(use it as a desk)

Is that a bad idea?

Biology news on Phys.org
Not really. There are machines that allow you to work at a CRT standing up - they require you to move your feet very slowly - a slow walk. It's a kind of very expensive treadmill basically.

The only caveat: if you are in bad shape -- start slowly, otherwise you'll be at risk for tissue damage or inflammation, for example, plantar fasciitis, sore joints, tendonitis. By slowly I mean a half hour per day to start, then work up to 8-10 hours over weeks.

But why is it not good for the body? I was looking for a biological explanation.

1. Is biking all the time a good form of exercise?

Yes, biking is an excellent form of exercise. It is a low-impact activity that can improve cardiovascular health, strengthen muscles, and increase flexibility and coordination.

2. Can biking all the time help with weight loss?

Biking can definitely contribute to weight loss, as it burns calories and can help build lean muscle mass. However, it is important to also maintain a balanced and healthy diet to see significant weight loss results.

3. Are there any negative effects of biking all the time?

Biking all the time can put strain on the joints and muscles, especially if proper form and technique are not used. It is important to vary your workouts and incorporate rest days to prevent overuse injuries.

4. How long and how often should I bike to see health benefits?

The duration and frequency of biking will vary depending on individual fitness levels and goals. It is generally recommended to aim for at least 150 minutes of moderate-intensity biking per week, which can be broken down into shorter sessions throughout the week.

5. Can biking all the time improve mental health?

Yes, biking can have positive effects on mental health. Regular exercise, including biking, can help reduce stress and anxiety, improve mood, and boost self-esteem. Additionally, being outdoors and connecting with nature during bike rides can have a calming and therapeutic effect.