AP Physics Free-Response Practice Question #2

In summary, the conversation discusses calculating the force on a plug in a tank filled with saltwater, the speed of the water leaving the tank through a small hole, and the volume flow rate of the water. The density of the saltwater is given and the continuity equation is used to find the force, but this approach is deemed incorrect. The conversation then moves on to discussing how to find the force using pressure, by considering the density and depth of the water. The calculation for the speed of the water leaving the hole is not fully understood, but a potential approach is mentioned.
xpeachpleasurex

Homework Statement

A large tank, 25m in height and open at the top, is completely filled with saltwater (density 1025 kg/m^3). A small drain plug with a cross-sectional area of 4.0 X 10^-5 m^2 is located 5m from the bottom of the tank.

The plug breaks loose from the tank, and water flows from the drain.

(a) Calculate the force exerted by the water on the plug before the plug breaks free.

(b) Calculate the speed of the water as it leaves the hole in side of the tank.

(c) Calculate the volume flow rate of the water from the hole.

Homework Equations

I'm not sure...I used the continuity equations A1V1 = A2V2

The Attempt at a Solution

I calculated the volume of the water displaced and used the continuity equation and plugged in the numbers, but then I noticed that this was not the right way.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Start with part (a). How would you find the force on the plug?

You can change the density from being kg to N if you account for gravity:
gravity per volume = density * gravity. the units look like this:
N/m^3 = (kg/m^3) * (m/s^2)

From there you can multiply by the depth to get the pressure
N/m^2 = (N/m^3) * m

Now that you have the pressure in N/m^2, you can multiply by the surface area of the plug to get the force.
N = (N/m^2) * (m^2)Not exactly sure how to find speed, but I have a rough idea. It's probably wrong but it's wroth a shot...

<snip>
A little birdie suggested via report post that I delete this probably wrong response to avoid confusing the OP, who just wants help with his homework.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is the purpose of practicing free-response questions in AP Physics?

Practicing free-response questions in AP Physics allows students to improve their understanding and application of key concepts, as well as their critical thinking and problem-solving skills. It also prepares them for the format and style of questions that will appear on the AP exam.

2. How should I approach answering free-response questions in AP Physics?

The best approach is to carefully read and understand the question, identify the relevant concepts and equations, and then organize your thoughts and calculations clearly and logically. It's also important to label all variables and show all work to receive full credit.

3. How much time should I spend on each free-response question in AP Physics?

The AP exam typically allows 15 minutes for each free-response question. However, it's important to practice working within time constraints, so it's recommended to aim for 12-13 minutes per question during practice sessions.

4. Can I use a calculator on the AP Physics free-response questions?

Yes, a calculator is allowed on the AP Physics exam, but it's important to note that certain types of questions may not require a calculator and others may have restrictions on the type of calculator that can be used. It's important to check the College Board website for the most up-to-date information.

5. How can I check my answers to AP Physics free-response questions?

You can use the scoring guidelines provided by the College Board to check your answers and see how many points you would receive. It's also helpful to compare your approach and solution to those of your peers or a teacher to identify areas for improvement.