Finding Maximum Energy of Ejected Electrons in Photoelectric Effect

In summary, an incoming light shining on a metal surface gives the wavelength, cutoff voltage, and frequency (by using f = c/w). From here, I am having trouble finding the maximun Ek of the ejected electrons. I am guessing that I can use the equation Ek max = eV by substituting in the cutoff voltage and the charge on an electron to get the Ek max in joules, but then how do I get it in electron volts? Is there a conversion factor, or another equation I use? If you calculate the energy term eV you can get either electron volts or Joules depending on what units you use for the charge on the electron.
sodr2

Homework Statement

For an incoming light shining on a metal surface, I am given the wavelength, the cutoff voltage, the frequency (by using f = c/w). From here, I am having trouble finding the maximun Ek of the ejected electrons in electron volts (eV) and joules (J).

Homework Equations

Ek max = eV

E = hƒ = hc / λ

Ek max = E (photon) - work

The Attempt at a Solution

Im guessing that i can use the equation Ek max = eV by substituting in the cutoff voltage and the charge on an electron to get the Ek max in joules, but then how do I get it in electron volts? Is there a conversion factor, or another equation I use??
PLz help..

Physics news on Phys.org
Joules to eV...1.602 times 10^-19J= 1 ev

rosstheboss23 said:
Joules to eV...1.602 times 10^-19J= 1 ev

ok, so if i use Ek = eV to find the energy in joules and divide by e (1.602x10^-19), then i just end up at volts again. If the cutoff voltage is equal to the energy in eV then Id be fine, but should i be using Ek = eV ?

sodr2 said:
ok, so if i use Ek = eV to find the energy in joules and divide by e (1.602x10^-19), then i just end up at volts again. If the cutoff voltage is equal to the energy in eV then Id be fine, but should i be using Ek = eV ?

If you calculate the energy term eV you can get either electron volts or Joules depending on what units you use for the charge on the electron.

If you use charge in Coulombs (for example [itex]e= 1.6\times 10^{-19}[/itex] C) then the energy is in Joules.

If your charge is just the number of elementary charges (here 1), then multiplying by the cutoff voltage you get electronvolts.

Two examples: If an electron moves through a 20 V potential difference, the change in potential energy is 20 electronvolts (could be positive or negative depending on the direction). If a helium nuclei (with a positive charge equal to 2e) moves through a 30 V potential difference, the change in potential energy is 60 electronvolts (again, could be positive or negative).

(By the way, I don't understand what you mean in your last post when you say you found the energy in Joules, divided by the conversion factor and got volts again. If your kinetic energy in Joules was (for example) [itex]2\times 10^{-17} J[/itex], then converting to electron volts would be:

[tex]
2\times 10^{-17} \mbox{ J} \frac{1 \mbox{ eV}}{1.6\times 10^{-19} \mbox{ J}} = 125 \mbox{ eV}
[/itex]

i meant that if i have a cutoff voltage for a light (lets say its 2 V) i should multiply it by e to get the energy in joules (which would be in this case 3.2 x 10^-19 J). if i take that energy and divide it by e, then ill just end up at volts again...

cause E = eV

sodr2 said:
i meant that if i have a cutoff voltage for a light (lets say its 2 V) i should multiply it by e to get the energy in joules (which would be in this case 3.2 x 10^-19 J). if i take that energy and divide it by e, then ill just end up at volts again...

cause E = eV

But you're not dividing by the charge e, you're dividing by a conversion factor. You're not ending up with volts again, you're ending up with electronvolts; but since the numerical value of this conversion factor happens to be the same as the charge on one electron, the potential energy (in eV) and the potential difference (in V) have the same numerical value in this case. That "coincidence" is why electronvolts is such a useful unit.

(My example was if an electron goes through a potential difference of V=20 volts, its potential energy change is [itex]\Delta U=[/itex] 20 electronvolts.)

ohh ok, thanks for your help.

What is the photoelectric effect?

The photoelectric effect is a phenomenon where electrons are emitted from a material when it is exposed to light. This was first observed by Heinrich Hertz in 1887 and later explained by Albert Einstein in 1905.

How does the photoelectric effect work?

When a photon of light hits a material, it transfers its energy to an electron in the material. If the energy of the photon is greater than the work function of the material, the electron can overcome the attractive force of the material and be emitted as a photoelectron.

What is the work function in the photoelectric effect?

The work function is the minimum amount of energy required for an electron to escape the surface of a material. It varies depending on the type of material and can be thought of as the energy barrier that an electron must overcome in order to be emitted.

What is the significance of the photoelectric effect?

The photoelectric effect was one of the key experiments that led to the development of quantum mechanics. It also has many practical applications, such as in solar panels and photodiodes, and has helped to advance our understanding of the behavior of light and matter.

What factors affect the photoelectric effect?

The energy of the incident photons, the work function of the material, and the intensity of the incident light all play a role in the photoelectric effect. Additionally, the type of material and its surface properties can also affect the rate of photoelectron emission.