Gaining knowledge about antenna

In summary, the conversation is about a third year btech student looking for good books to learn about antennas. Suggestions for books are given, including Balanis' "Antenna Theory" and the ARRL's "Antenna Book." It is also mentioned that there is a lot of information available on the internet and that making antennas can be a good way to learn. The speaker, who is a licensed amateur radio operator, offers to help with any questions or assistance needed.
car
i am a third year btech student , i am interested in gaining knowledge about antenna and their working.kindly help me by referring some good books for begineers.

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to the Forums!

One of the best textbooks to learn from is Balanis, "Antenna Theory." What is "btech", what year are you and what is your math/E&M background?

There are also some Antenna books published by the ARRL which are very good, touch on everything, relatively cheap, and easy to find used...

hope this helps.

Hello car I am a licensed amateur radio operator with a general class license and hopefully before I go to school I will have my extra license. ARRL has some very good books such as the antenna book. This book is very detailed however its cost is 50 dollars.This book covers all antenna's such as vertical(the type I have at my house),dipole,yagi,quad,loop,beam,etc. It also talks about propagation and hows antennas effect it.

You can also find a lot of information on the internet just search. A lot of people learn about antennas by making them. Thats how I learned. When I put up my vertical at my house I had to calculate the best place to put it by figuring out the amount of noise I would have caused by the power lines behind my house. You also have to take into consideration interference the antenna would cause to your neighbors TV, Telephone, Radio, etc.

If you would not like to pay for a book my option is the internet. many other amateur radio operators publish and post information about antennas on their own websites. If you have any question or would like help let me know antennas are my favorite part of my amateur radio hobby. For arrl go to arrl.org

1. What is an antenna and how does it work?

An antenna is a device used for transmitting and receiving electromagnetic waves. It works by converting electrical signals into electromagnetic waves and vice versa. It consists of conductive elements that are designed to resonate at a specific frequency, allowing it to efficiently transmit and receive signals.

2. What are the different types of antennas?

There are various types of antennas, each with its own unique design and purpose. Some common types include dipole, loop, patch, Yagi, and parabolic dish antennas. Each type is suitable for different applications and frequencies.

3. How do I choose the right antenna for my needs?

The right antenna for your needs will depend on several factors, including the frequency of the signals you want to transmit or receive, the distance you need to cover, and the environmental conditions. It is best to consult with an expert or conduct thorough research to determine the most suitable antenna for your specific requirements.

4. How do I test the performance of an antenna?

The performance of an antenna can be tested by measuring its gain, directivity, bandwidth, and efficiency. Gain refers to the ability of the antenna to amplify signals, while directivity measures its ability to focus the signal in a specific direction. Bandwidth refers to the range of frequencies that the antenna can transmit or receive, and efficiency measures how well the antenna converts electrical signals into electromagnetic waves.

5. What are some common challenges in designing and using antennas?

Designing and using antennas can come with challenges such as interference from other electronic devices, signal degradation due to environmental factors, and limitations in size and shape. It is important to carefully consider these challenges and address them in the design and implementation process to ensure optimal antenna performance.