How do I get LaTeX to put the infinity on top of the SUM symboL

In summary, to put the infinity symbol on top of the SUM symbol in LaTeX, you can use commands such as \limits or \sum\limits before the SUM symbol followed by the \infty command. The size of the infinity symbol can be changed by using the \big or \bigg commands before the \infty command. If you want the infinity symbol on top of a different symbol, you can use the \stackrel command followed by the desired symbol and then the \infty command. To put the infinity symbol on top of the SUM symbol in an equation, you can use the \overset command followed by the \infty command and then the SUM symbol in curly brackets. It is not possible to put the infinity
laura_a
I need to make a power series in LaTex that looks like this
[tex] u = \Sigma^{\infty}_{k=0} a_kx^k [/tex]

But I wan the infinity on top of the sum and the k=0 on the bottom like normal setting out but I can't find out how to do it?
Hopefully someone from here can show me! Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Use "sum" instead of "Sigma":

[tex]u= \sum_{k=0}^\infty a_kx^k[/tex]

thanks!

1. How do I get LaTeX to put the infinity symbol on top of the SUM symbol?

To put the infinity symbol on top of the SUM symbol in LaTeX, you can use the \limits or \sum\limits command before the SUM symbol, followed by the \infty command. This will place the infinity symbol on top of the SUM symbol.

2. Can I change the size of the infinity symbol on top of the SUM symbol?

Yes, you can change the size of the infinity symbol on top of the SUM symbol by using the \big or \bigg commands before the \infty command. This will make the infinity symbol larger or smaller respectively.

3. What if I want the infinity symbol to be on top of a different symbol instead of SUM?

If you want the infinity symbol to be on top of a different symbol, you can use the \stackrel command followed by the desired symbol and then the \infty command. This will stack the infinity symbol on top of the chosen symbol.

4. How can I put the infinity symbol on top of the SUM symbol in an equation?

To put the infinity symbol on top of the SUM symbol in an equation, you can use the \overset command followed by the \infty command, and then the SUM symbol in curly brackets. This will place the infinity symbol on top of the SUM symbol in the equation.

5. Is there a way to put the infinity symbol on top of the SUM symbol without using commands?

No, in order to put the infinity symbol on top of the SUM symbol in LaTeX, you must use commands such as \limits, \sum\limits, \infty, \stackrel, or \overset. These commands allow for precise placement of symbols in equations and cannot be achieved without using them.