Analysis of an= n1/2: Cauchy Criterion Examined

In summary, the problem asks to define the sequence an=n^(1/2) where n is a natural number and to show that |an+1-an| approaches 0 as n approaches infinity, but an is not a Cauchy sequence. To evaluate the limit, one can multiply by a trick and simplify. To show that the sequence is not Cauchy, one can take m much larger than n and show that the distance between the two sequences does not decrease as n becomes large.
Kudaros

Homework Statement

Define the Sequence an= n1/2 where n is a natural number.

Show that |an+1-an| -> 0 but an is not a cauchy sequence

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

(Ignore this paragraph)Well, unfortunately I am stuck on the very first part. How exactly do I evaluate the limit as n -> infinity of |(n+1)^(1/2) - n^(1/2)| ? any hint at a trick would be most welcome (unless of course I am not seeing something that is obvious).

As for the rest, I need to show an is not a Cauchy sequence. The definition of a Cauchy sequence uses two sequences with different subscripts, m and n. In this case, can I take n+1 to be m and keep n as itself?

I think I need to show that the distance between the two sequences, an+1 and an is not decreasing as n becomes large.

edit: found limit.

Also, re-reading the question I see a flaw in my above statement. I just need to show that for any given m and n, as I vary them independently, they do not meet the cauchy criterion. The problem itself states that looking only at the n+1 term appears to meet the criterion, but in fact does not.

Confirm or deny?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
To evaluate the limit multiply by (sqrt(n+1)+sqrt(n))/(sqrt(n+1)+sqrt(n)) and simplify. And to show it's not Cauchy, no, don't take m=n+1. You're going to show that goes to zero. Take m MUCH bigger than n. Say 4 times n?

Thanks, now I understand that definition/concept. Incidentally, I also understand the contractive sequence concept now.

What is the Cauchy Criterion?

The Cauchy Criterion is a mathematical concept that states that a series is convergent if and only if the series of the absolute values of its terms is convergent.

How is the Cauchy Criterion used in analysis?

In analysis, the Cauchy Criterion is used to determine the convergence of infinite sequences and series. It helps determine whether a sequence or series will approach a finite limit or diverge to infinity.

What is an example of using the Cauchy Criterion in analysis?

An example of using the Cauchy Criterion in analysis is to determine the convergence of the series 1 + 1/2 + 1/4 + 1/8 + ... . The series of the absolute values of its terms is 1 + 1/2 + 1/4 + 1/8 + ... , which is a geometric series with a common ratio of 1/2. By the Cauchy Criterion, this series is convergent and therefore the original series also converges.

What is the significance of the Cauchy Criterion in mathematics?

The Cauchy Criterion is significant in mathematics as it provides a rigorous mathematical definition of convergence, which is a fundamental concept in calculus, analysis, and other branches of mathematics.

What are the limitations of the Cauchy Criterion?

One limitation of the Cauchy Criterion is that it only applies to sequences and series with real or complex terms. It cannot be used for sequences or series with other types of terms, such as vectors or functions. Additionally, it does not guarantee the convergence of a series, as there may be cases where a series satisfies the Cauchy Criterion but does not converge.