Understanding Complex Variable Power Series

In summary, the conversation is about two problems in complex analysis, (a) and (b), that the person is struggling to understand for their homework due on Thursday. The person is looking for any help or clarification on the problems. The first problem (a) involves showing that if a function has a radius of convergence of R>0 and equals 0 for all z,|z-z0|<r≤R, then all coefficients a0, a1, ... , must be equal to 0. The second problem (b) involves showing that two functions, F(z) and G(z), are equal on a given disc, then all coefficients an and bn must be equal for all n. The conversation also provides hints
student85
Hi all, I'm having trouble understading this problem I got for homework. They're actually two problems in one, (a) and (b)... Any comment you can give me for understaing this will REALLY help. This is due Thursday, so please if anyone knows anything about this, can you share it with me? Thank you.

Homework Statement

a) If f(z) = [itex]\sum[/itex] an(z-z0)n has a radius of convergence R>0 and if f(z)=0 for all z,|z-z0| < r [itex]\leq[/itex] R, show that a0=a1=...=0.

b) If F(z) = [itex]\sum[/itex] an(z-z0)n and G(z) = [itex]\sum[/itex] bn(z-z0)n are equal on some disc |z-z0|< r, show that an = bn for all n.

NOTE: All sums go from n=0 to infinity.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Ok first of all I don't really get (a). It says f(z) is equal to 0 for all z, so obviously all a's must be equal to 0, no? Can someone please tell me what I am missing here? I typed the wording for the problem exactly as it is in the textbook.
Then for (b), again I don't see the point in the problem I mean if F and G are equal in the disc, then obviously all a's and b's are equal because each is the coefficient to a specific power of z, so a0 must be equal to b0, a1 = b1, and so on. But there must be more to these problems, there must be some mathematical proof or something I must do. Can someone shed some light on me? Thanks again.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hints
(a) Use the same Taylor's Theorem from real analysis (works the same way for analytic functions)

(b) Subtract F and G from each other and compose the series into one series. Use the result from (a) so that a-b=0 for all n.

1. What is a complex variable power series?

A complex variable power series is a mathematical series that involves a complex variable, which is a number that can be expressed in the form a + bi, where a and b are real numbers and i is the imaginary unit (√-1). The series is typically written as a sum of terms with increasing powers of the complex variable, and can be used to represent functions of complex numbers.

2. How is a complex variable power series different from a real variable power series?

A complex variable power series differs from a real variable power series in that the terms of the series involve complex numbers, rather than just real numbers. This allows for a wider range of functions to be represented, as complex numbers can describe more complex and interesting behavior than real numbers.

3. What is the convergence of a complex variable power series?

The convergence of a complex variable power series refers to whether or not the series approaches a finite value as the number of terms in the series increases. In other words, it determines whether or not the series "converges" to a specific value. The convergence of a complex variable power series is dependent on the values of the complex variable and the coefficients of the series.

4. How can complex variable power series be used in applications?

Complex variable power series can be used in a variety of applications, including physics, engineering, and economics. They can be used to model and analyze complex systems and phenomena, such as electrical circuits, fluid dynamics, and economic trends. They also have applications in signal processing, control theory, and other areas of mathematics and science.

5. What is the importance of understanding complex variable power series?

Understanding complex variable power series is important for anyone studying mathematics or science, as they provide a powerful tool for representing and analyzing complex functions. They also have many practical applications, making them valuable for engineers, physicists, and other professionals. Additionally, understanding complex variable power series can help develop a deeper understanding of complex numbers and their properties.