Move objects inside elevator .

• Thread starter rulzwrld
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Elevator
In summary, when moving objects inside an elevator, the force needed to move the object is smallest when the elevator is accelerating downwards and largest when it is accelerating upwards. This is because the force required is dependent on the static friction and weight of the object, which is influenced by the acceleration of the elevator. When the elevator is moving at a constant speed, the force required to move the object will be somewhere in between the minimum and maximum force.
rulzwrld
Move objects inside elevator...

Homework Statement

You are moving a large crate from the back of the freight of the elevator to the front as the elevator is moving to the next floor.In which situation is the force you must apply to move the crate the smallest and in which is it the largest
1> When the elevator is accelerating upwards
2> When the elevator is accelerating downwards.
3> When it is traveling a constant speed.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

The less force would be needed when the quantity m * ax would be less.
So when the elevator is accelerating downwards the force required would be least
and when the object is accelerating upwards the force required would be maximum .
Is my analogy true ?

Physics news on Phys.org

When you're moving the crate in the way the problem describes, what makes it difficult?

Its really hard for me to analyze this can some one just elaborate the answer for me ??

Imagine yourself trying to move a large crate. What makes it difficult to move the crate?

You can do this. You must have moved large objects before.

Its because of static friction and the weight of the object ...

rulzwrld said:
Its because of static friction and the weight of the object ...

OK, and what does the static friction depend on?

1. How does the elevator know when to stop at each floor?

The elevator is equipped with a sensor that detects when it has reached a certain height or distance, indicating that it has arrived at a floor. This sensor triggers the elevator to stop and open its doors.

2. Can I move large objects, such as furniture, inside an elevator?

It is not recommended to move large objects inside an elevator, as it can damage the elevator or cause it to malfunction. It is best to use the stairs or a freight elevator for moving large items.

3. Is there a weight limit for objects inside an elevator?

Yes, elevators have a weight limit for safety reasons. This weight limit is typically displayed inside the elevator and should not be exceeded. If you are unsure of the weight of your objects, it is best to make multiple trips or use a freight elevator.

4. Can I press the door close button to speed up the elevator?

Pressing the door close button will not make the elevator move faster. It is purely a psychological feature to make riders feel like they have some control over the elevator.

5. What should I do if an object gets stuck in the elevator doors?

If an object gets stuck in the elevator doors, do not try to force the doors open or remove the object yourself. Press the emergency alarm button or use the emergency phone inside the elevator to call for help. Trying to remove the object yourself can be dangerous and may cause damage to the elevator.