How are my chances for graduate school in math?

In summary, the speaker is a senior planning to attend graduate school for math. They will take a year off to apply next year. However, their application is looking weak due to a lower GPA and some lower grades in advanced courses. They are currently working on an honors thesis and have the potential for two good recommendation letters. They are hoping for strong GRE scores but are feeling pessimistic about their chances of getting into a top 20-40 school. They also have some notable weaknesses such as a lack of research experience and lower grades in certain courses.
alligatorman
I'm a senior planning on going to graduate school for math. I'll take a year off and apply next year. I decided all of this kind of at the last minute, and as a result, my application is looking a little weak:

Projected GPA: ~3.7
Projected Math GPA: ~3.62 (not including Calc 1,2,3 and Diff Eq)

In order, my courses and grades are as follows:

Core courses:
Calc 1, 2, 3, Diff. Eq.: A
Numbers & Polynomials (proofs): A
Linear Algebra: A
Abstract Algebra: C
Advanced Calculus 1: C+
Advanced Calculus 2: B+

Electives
Combinatorics 1: B+
Functions of a Complex Variable: B+
Geometry: A

This Semester (projected grades)
Topology 1: A
Graduate Level Modern Analysis 1: A
Graduate Level Algebra 1: B+ (A is possible)

Final Semester (hopeful grades)
Topology 2: A
Graduate Level Modern Analysis 2: A
Combinatorics 2: A

I am working on an Honors Thesis with a professor. It is research-esque. I'm not counting on any publications, but I am counting on an excellent recommendation letter. I can get two more decent letters from other professors.

Hopefully I can pull off two great GRE scores.

Notable weaknesses:
Low GPA. In Particular, the C and C+ in Algebra and Adv. Calc. (hence the two grad courses)
No number theory (The course is very elementary. I know most of it. It's offered during Combinatorics, which is my primary interest)
No extensive research experience.
Too many B+'s, not enough A's. (I think so, at least.)

I'm feeling overly pessimistic. I'm looking at schools in the Top 20-40, but don't expect to get into anything, and I probably will not go to grad school if the only schools that accept me are very low tier.

What do you guys think my chances are looking like?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
[ removed ]

1. What GPA do I need to get into graduate school for math?

There is no set GPA requirement for graduate school in math, as each program and university will have their own criteria for admissions. However, a strong GPA in math and related courses is typically expected.

2. Do I need to have research experience to be accepted into a graduate math program?

Research experience is not always required for admission into a graduate math program, but it can strengthen your application. If you do not have research experience, you can highlight other skills and experiences that demonstrate your potential for success in graduate school.

3. Is it necessary to have a math-related undergraduate degree to get into graduate school for math?

While a math-related undergraduate degree may give you an advantage, it is not always required. Many graduate programs in math accept students from various backgrounds, as long as they have a strong foundation in mathematics and a passion for the subject.

4. What standardized tests do I need to take for graduate school in math?

Most graduate programs in math will require you to take the GRE (Graduate Record Examination) General Test. Some programs may also require subject-specific tests, such as the GRE Mathematics Subject Test.

5. What can I do to improve my chances of getting into graduate school for math?

Aside from maintaining a strong academic record, you can improve your chances by gaining research experience, participating in math competitions or conferences, and obtaining strong letters of recommendation from professors or professionals in the field. It is also important to thoroughly research and select programs that align with your interests and career goals.