Raising and lowering operators on a ket?

• Thread starter philip041
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Operators
In summary, the S(+) and S(-) operators can be used on integer kets |+1>, |-1>, and |0>, with the outcome being h(bar)/sqrt(2) * |ket>. When operating with S+ on |+1>, the result will be 0 for S = 1 states. Similarly, operating with S- on |-1> or |0> will also result in 0. For S = 1 states, the formulas for operating with S- on |0> can be found in the provided link. When dealing with spin 1/2 particles, the possible values for the z-component m_j can be determined using the formula -j, -j+1, ...
philip041
How do you use the S(+) and S(-) operators on integer kets, |1>, |-1>, |0>?

I'm told the outcome of the ones which aren't zero will be something like h(bar)/sqrt(2) * |ket>

Confused!? I thought operators are 2 x 2 matrices...

Any help much appreciated,

Philip

Physics news on Phys.org
Operating with S+ on |+1> Will give you Zero if you are operating on S = 1 states.. you are not so clear in your question here, but I assume you have S = 1 states here..

Operating with S- on |-1> = 0 as well.

Operating with S- on |0> you use formulas:

http://www.mt.luth.se/~nikle/Education/MTF067/Lectures/PL13.pdf

(just replace L with S , these operators work the same no matter what kind of angular momentum you have)

Last edited by a moderator:
And since you have S = 1 states here, you should have a 3x3 matrix

Cheers for the answer, I have a question though:

In the third slide you posted, what does the l = 3 correspond to? The question I am looking at says for spin 1. What is l and what is m. Should my l in the examples always be 1, as they are spin 1, and my m be either -1, 0 or 1?

yes :-)

cool, so if it were for spin 1/2, would l = 1/2 and m = 1/2, 0 or 1/2?

No, think! For a spin 1/2 particle, which possible z-projections exists? What is the general relation for an Angularmomentum J and its z-projections m_J ?

none?

Given an angular momentum [itex] j [/itex], which can have values: 0,1/2 ,1, 3/2 ,2 ,5/2, ...

the z-component, [itex] m_j [/itex], can obtain values: [itex] m_j = -j, -j +1, \ldots , j-1, j [/itex]

So if j = 1/2, what possible values can you have of the z-component? ;-)

-5/2 to 5/2, why didn't i say that the first time? sorry for being dim

philip041 said:
-5/2 to 5/2, why didn't i say that the first time? sorry for being dim

No you must have missunderstood. In your case, j = 1/2, what values of m_j can you have?

no that's wrong

-3/2 3/2

miss print

philip041 said:
-3/2 3/2

miss print

now you are REALLY making a fool out of yourself ;-)

If j = 1/2 and the general "formula" for possible m_j's for a given j are -j, -j+1, .. ,j -1, j

What values of m_j can you have for j = 1/2 ?

3/2 to 3/2?

missed out the minus by mistake.

philip041 said:
3/2 to 3/2?

are you guessing or using the formula?

if you are guessing, stop doing that and apply formula.

if you use formula, tell me how you do it, you are doing something REALLY wrong.

According to formula, for a given j, the maximum m_j is j, and the minumum is -j.

malawi_glenn;2001489 If j = 1/2 and the general "formula" for possible m_j's for a given j are -j said:
1/2 and -1/2

philip041 said:
1/2 and -1/2

good :-)

1. What are raising and lowering operators on a ket?

Raising and lowering operators are mathematical operators commonly used in quantum mechanics to manipulate kets, which represent quantum states. They indicate the creation or destruction of a specific quantum state.

2. How do raising and lowering operators work?

Raising and lowering operators act on a ket by increasing or decreasing its quantum number by 1, respectively. For example, if the quantum number represents the energy level of an electron, the raising operator will increase the energy level by 1.

3. What is the significance of raising and lowering operators?

Raising and lowering operators are important because they allow us to describe the dynamics of quantum systems, such as the transition of an electron between energy levels. They also play a crucial role in the formulation of quantum field theory.

4. Can raising and lowering operators be used on other mathematical objects?

Yes, raising and lowering operators can be used on other mathematical objects with similar properties to kets, such as harmonic oscillators. They can also be used in other areas of physics, such as in the study of angular momentum.

5. Are there any rules or properties that apply to raising and lowering operators?

Yes, there are several rules and properties that apply to raising and lowering operators, such as commutation and anticommutation relations, Hermitian conjugation, and eigenvalue equations. These rules allow us to perform calculations and make predictions about quantum systems using raising and lowering operators.