Beta Decay & Quarks - A-Level Physics Explained

In summary, the conversation discusses nuclear decay, specifically beta emission and the change in proton number. The concept of a neutron being made up of an electron and a proton is mentioned, but it is noted that this is an oversimplification and incorrect. The conversation concludes with a discussion on the role of quarks in this process.
matt_crouch
In my A-level Physics course we have been talking about nuclear decay. When an nucleus decays by beta emission the proton number increases. My teacher described a neutron as "an electron and a proton" so that the overall charge is 0. To me this sounds like a simplification. what's really going on. I know that Protons and neutrons are made of quarks has it got something to do with an up quark changing to a down or something like that?

cheers =]

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, that's more or less precisely what's happening :)
This image displays it nicely:
750px-Beta_decay_artistic.svg.png

The W- particle is some elementary particle that only exists for a short while (a so called virtual particle). You see that a anti-neutrino (the "vee", or actually: "nu", with a bar) is released, which is a very light and very hard to detect particle. You don't really notice it's there, except it can take some energy with it.
The up and down quark, W-boson, electron and anti-neutrino are all (as far as the Standard Model of particle physics is concerned) elementary particles.

ahh awesome. explains a lot
thanks

You're welcome. Just another small comment on this part:

matt_crouch said:
My teacher described a neutron as "an electron and a proton"

He makes it sound like a neutron is composed of an electron and a proton, which is not just an oversimplification, it is wrong. What he probably meant was that the neutron can change into an electron and a proton (which is right up to the anti-neutrino).

ahh ok i see.. thanks

matt_crouch said:
In my A-level Physics course we have been talking about nuclear decay. When an nucleus decays by beta emission the proton number increases. My teacher described a neutron as "an electron and a proton" so that the overall charge is 0. To me this sounds like a simplification. what's really going on. I know that Protons and neutrons are made of quarks has it got something to do with an up quark changing to a down or something like that?

cheers =]

I want to reiterate what Compuchip said: if your prof really did describe a neutron as an electron and a proton, he/she said something completely, totally, unforgivingly wrong.

1. What is beta decay?

Beta decay is a type of radioactive decay where a nucleus releases a beta particle (either an electron or a positron) and a neutrino. This process occurs when there is an imbalance between the number of protons and neutrons in the nucleus, causing the nucleus to become more stable.

2. What is the role of quarks in beta decay?

Quarks are fundamental particles that make up protons and neutrons. During beta decay, one of the quarks within a neutron changes into a different type of quark, causing the neutron to become a proton. This change in quark composition results in the emission of a beta particle and a neutrino.

3. How is beta decay different from alpha decay?

Beta decay is different from alpha decay in several ways. First, alpha decay involves the emission of an alpha particle (two protons and two neutrons) from the nucleus, while beta decay involves the emission of a beta particle. Additionally, alpha decay occurs in larger, heavier nuclei, while beta decay occurs in smaller, lighter nuclei. Finally, alpha decay does not involve a change in quark composition, while beta decay does.

4. What is the significance of beta decay in the universe?

Beta decay plays a crucial role in the universe as it helps maintain the balance between the number of protons and neutrons in nuclei. This balance is essential for the stability of atoms and the formation of elements in stars. Beta decay also produces high-energy particles, which are important for various processes such as nuclear fusion in stars and the production of elements in supernova explosions.

5. How is beta decay used in practical applications?

Beta decay has various practical applications, such as in nuclear medicine and power generation. In nuclear medicine, beta decay is used to produce radioactive isotopes for imaging and cancer treatments. In power generation, beta decay is used in nuclear reactors to generate electricity. Beta decay can also be used to date materials and study the properties of different elements and particles.