From point A to point B, basic algebra.

In summary, the problem involves simplifying an expression from point A to point B using algebraic manipulations. The left hand term can be simplified by expanding the brackets and using the fact that (a/b)^2 = a^2/b^2. The right hand term can be simplified by canceling out common factors and breaking the fraction up. The final expression for both terms can be written in the form (1+1/n)^2, and the problem can be solved from there.
calisoca

Homework Statement

I'm not sure how to get from point A to point B. It seems simple enough, but I'm just not seeing it!

Homework Equations

point A:

[tex] \frac{81}{n^4} \ [\frac{n(n+1)}{2}]^2 \ - \ \frac{54}{n^2} \ [\frac{n(n+1)}{2}] [/tex]

point B:

[tex] \frac{81}{4} \ (1 + \frac{1}{n})^2 \ - \ 27(1 + \frac{1}{n}) [/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm honestly at a loss on this simple problem, however sad that may seem.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
calisoca said:

Homework Statement

I'm not sure how to get from point A to point B. It seems simple enough, but I'm just not seeing it!

Homework Equations

point A:

((81/(n^4))*((n(n+1)/2)^2)) - ((54/(n^2))*(n(n+1)/2)

point B:

((81/4)*((1+(1/n))^2)) - (27*(1+(1/n)))

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm honestly at a loss on this simple problem, however sad that may seem.

For the left hand term, distribute the power of 2 within the bracket and make any obvious cancellations. Then use the fact that an/bn = (a/b)n to get it closer to the desired form. See if you can figure out the last step.

For the right hand term, first make an obvious cancellation, and then break the fraction up as required.

I have tried to only give hints so you can do the actual math yourself. Hopefully one of the hints may be the thing you were looking for and you can finish it off yourself :smile:

Danago, thank you very much. I will work with the hints you gave me and see if I can figure it out. It's not hard, it's just that I haven't actually done any real algebra in the last few months, so I'm a bit slow right now. If I need any more help from here, I'll post, but otherwise, thank you again for your help!

Okay, here is what I have so far. However, getting the first term to what I want is problematic for me. Step 6 is where I am stuck. May I please get some help getting past Step 6? I'd greatly appreciate it.1.) [tex] \frac{81}{n^4} \ [\frac{n(n+1)}{2}]^2 \ - \ \frac{54}{n^2} \ [\frac{n(n+1)}{2}] [/tex]

2.) [tex] \frac{81}{n^4} \ [\frac{n^2 + n}{2}]^2 \ - \ \frac{54}{n^2} \ [\frac{n^2 + n}{2}] [/tex]

3.) [tex] \frac{81}{n^4} \ [\frac{n^4 + 2n^3 + n^2}{4}] \ - \ \frac{54}{n^2} \ [\frac{n^2 + n}{2}] [/tex]

4.) [tex] \frac{81(n^4 + 2n^3 + n^2)}{4n^4} \ - \ \frac{54(n^2 + n)}{2n^2} [/tex]

5.) [tex] \frac{81}{4} \ [\frac{n^4 + 2n^3 + n^2}{n^4}] \ - \ \frac{54}{2} \ [\frac{n^2 + n}{n^2}] [/tex]

6.) [tex] \frac{81}{4} \ (1 + \frac{2}{n} + \frac{1}{n^2}}) \ - \ \frac{54}{2} \ (1 + \frac{1}{n}) [/tex]

Crap! Just figured it out. Like Danago said, [tex] \frac{a^2}{b^2} = (\frac{a}{b})^2 [/tex]

So...

1.) [tex] \frac{81}{n^4} \ [\frac{n(n+1)}{2}]^2 \ - \ \frac{54}{n^2} \ [\frac{n(n+1)}{2}] [/tex]

2.) [tex] \frac{81}{n^4} \ [\frac{n^2 + n}{2}]^2 \ - \ \frac{54}{n^2} \ [\frac{n^2 + n}{2}] [/tex]

3.) [tex] \frac{81}{n^4} \ [\frac{n^4 + 2n^3 + n^2}{4}] \ - \ \frac{54}{n^2} \ [\frac{n^2 + n}{2}] [/tex]

4.) [tex] \frac{81(n^4 + 2n^3 + n^2)}{4n^4} \ - \ \frac{54(n^2 + n)}{2n^2} [/tex]

5.) [tex] \frac{81}{4} \ [\frac{n^4 + 2n^3 + n^2}{n^4}] \ - \ \frac{54}{2} \ [\frac{n^2 + n}{n^2}] [/tex]

6.) [tex] \frac{81}{4} \ (1 + \frac{2}{n} + \frac{1}{n^2}}) \ - \ \frac{54}{2} \ (1 + \frac{1}{n}) [/tex]

7.) [tex] (1 + \frac{2}{n} + \frac{1}{n^2}) = (1 + \frac{1}{n})^2 [/tex]

8.) [tex] \frac{81}{4} \ (1 + \frac{1}{n})^2 \ - \ 27(1 + \frac{1}{n}) [/tex]

Thanks for the help!

No problems :smile: You could actually have done it in a slightly simpler way, without expanding the brackets how you did. Ill demonstrate with the left hand term:

[tex]
\frac{81}{n^4} \ [\frac{n(n+1)}{2}]^2

=\frac{81}{n^4} \ [\frac{n^2(n+1)^2}{4}]

=\frac{81}{4} \ [\frac{(n+1)^2}{n^2}]

=\frac{81}{4} \ [\frac{(n+1)}{n}]^2

=\frac{81}{4} \ [1+\frac{1}{n}]^2
[/tex]

It still ends with the same result, but its probably a little simpler :smile:

1. What is the purpose of learning basic algebra?

The purpose of learning basic algebra is to develop problem-solving skills and critical thinking, which are essential in many fields of science. Algebra also serves as the foundation for more advanced mathematical concepts.

2. Why is it important to understand the concept of variables in basic algebra?

Variables are symbols used to represent unknown quantities in algebraic equations. Understanding variables is crucial because they allow us to solve problems with unknown values and make generalizations about patterns and relationships between quantities.

3. How can I improve my understanding and skills in basic algebra?

Practice is the key to improving your understanding and skills in basic algebra. It is important to consistently work through problems, review concepts, and seek help from teachers or tutors when needed.

4. Can basic algebra be applied in real-life situations?

Yes, basic algebra is used in various real-life situations, such as calculating discounts at a store, budgeting finances, and determining the best deals. Additionally, many scientific and engineering fields rely on algebraic equations to model and solve real-world problems.

5. What are some common mistakes to avoid in basic algebra?

Some common mistakes to avoid in basic algebra include not following the correct order of operations, not properly distributing or factoring, and making careless errors in calculations. It is important to carefully check your work and identify and correct any mistakes.