Impulse on a sliding block attched to spring

In summary, when a 4kg wooden block on an icy surface is attached to a horizontal spring with a spring constant of 100N/m and length of 1m, a 2g bullet fired at 100m/s directly towards the block causes the block to oscillate with a period of approximately 1.3 seconds and an amplitude of about 45cm. The correct amount of energy transferred by the bullet to the system is needed to accurately calculate the period and amplitude. The unit for spring constant, k, is in N/m, not N/kg.
jan2905
A 4kg wooden block resting on an icy surface (so friction can be ignored) is attached to a horizontal spring (L=1m, k=100N/kg), which is attached on the other end to a vertical wall. A 2g bullet is fired at a speed of 100m/s into the wooden block, pushing it directly toward the wall. What is the period and amplitude of the resulting oscillations?

f=(1/2pi)sqrt(k/m)

I have no clue?

Physics news on Phys.org

A good starting point would be to calculate how much energy the bullet transfers to the spring-block system.

Also (I'm sure it was a typo, but) the spring constant, [itex]k[/itex], can never take the value N/kg. [itex]k[/itex] is a measure of restoring force per unit length of displacement, so the S.I. unit is N/m.

okay... I got T=1.2s and A=45cm ... is this correct?

jan2905 said:
okay... I got T=1.2s and A=45cm ... is this correct?

Not sure how you arrived at your amplitude. Your period looks about right, though I would check to see that you rounded correctly.

Looks good to me. (Just to be pedantic, [itex]\tau[/itex] is closer to 1.3 s than 1.2 s, but you obviously got the correct answer!)

1. What is impulse in physics?

Impulse is a quantity that measures the change in momentum of an object. It is calculated as the product of the force applied to an object and the time period during which the force is applied.

2. How does a sliding block attached to a spring experience impulse?

When a force is applied to the sliding block attached to a spring, the spring is compressed or stretched, causing a change in its potential energy. This change in potential energy results in a change in momentum and therefore, the block experiences an impulse.

3. What factors affect the magnitude of impulse on a sliding block attached to a spring?

The magnitude of impulse on a sliding block attached to a spring depends on the force applied, the time period during which the force is applied, and the mass of the block. A greater force or a longer time period results in a larger impulse, while a larger mass results in a smaller impulse.

4. Can the direction of impulse on a sliding block attached to a spring change?

Yes, the direction of impulse on a sliding block attached to a spring can change depending on the direction of the applied force. If the force is applied in the same direction as the block's motion, the impulse will be positive. If the force is applied in the opposite direction, the impulse will be negative.

5. How is impulse related to the motion of a sliding block attached to a spring?

The impulse on a sliding block attached to a spring affects its motion by changing its momentum. If the impulse is in the same direction as the block's motion, it will increase its speed. If the impulse is in the opposite direction, it will decrease its speed or even cause it to stop.