What volume does this sample occupy?

• Thread starter Dx
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Volume
In summary, a given sample of C@2 contains 3.01x10^23 molecules at STP. In order to solve for the volume, the formula P*V=n*R*T was used, with given values of P, T, n, and R. However, the incorrect value of n was used (number of molecules instead of moles) resulting in an incorrect answer. The correct answer should be V= nRT/P.
Dx
A given sample of C@2 contains 3.01x10^23 molecules at STP. what does the samle occupy?

Im not going to put down all the formulas i used since i got this wrong on a test question, can anyone tell me what answer they came up with. I said 22.4L using V = .5mol/23.4mol/L= 22.4L or something to that effect.

Dx :wink:

Physics news on Phys.org
P*V=n*R*T

You're given P,T,n, and R is a constant. Solve for V.

Originally posted by enigma
P*V=n*R*T

You're given P,T,n, and R is a constant. Solve for V.

I tried enigama and got it wrong. What did i do wrong?

T = 273K
R = 8.315 J/mol*K
P 1.013 x 10^5
n = 3.01 x 10^23

V= nRT/P but my answer is wrong can you figure out what I've done wrong, pls explain?
Dx

Originally posted by Dx
n = 3.01 x 10^23

Here's your problem. n is supposed to be the number of moles, but you inserted the number of molecules.

Originally posted by Tom
Here's your problem. n is supposed to be the number of moles, but you inserted the number of molecules.

O gosh, what a dummie I am!
Thanks you guys rule!
Later
Dx :wink:

1. What is volume and how is it measured?

Volume is the amount of space that a substance or object occupies. It can be measured in units such as liters, cubic meters, or milliliters depending on the size of the sample.

2. How do I calculate the volume of an irregularly shaped sample?

The volume of an irregularly shaped sample can be determined by using the water displacement method. This involves measuring the amount of water that is displaced when the sample is submerged in a graduated cylinder.

3. What is the difference between volume and mass?

Volume is a measure of space, while mass is a measure of the amount of matter in a substance. They are related, but not the same. For example, a large object may have a small mass but a large volume, while a small object may have a large mass but a small volume.

4. Can the volume of a gas change?

Yes, the volume of a gas can change depending on factors such as temperature and pressure. These changes can be described by the ideal gas law, which states that the volume of a gas is directly proportional to its temperature and inversely proportional to its pressure.

5. How can I measure the volume of a solid object?

The volume of a solid object can be measured by using a ruler to determine the length, width, and height of the object, and then using the formula V = lwh (volume equals length times width times height) to calculate the volume in cubic units.