Looking for Calculus of Variations resources

In summary, the conversation was about recommendations for a good Calculus of Variations resource. One person recommended the book "The Variational Principles of Mechanics" by Lanczos, while another suggested "Tensors, Differential Forms, and Variational Principles" by Lovelock and Rund. There was also a mention of "Calculus of Variations" by Gelfand and Fomin, as well as a possible English translation of Lagrange's "Mécanique Analytique". The conversation ended with a mention of other books on the topic available from Dover publications.
jackiefrost
Hi,

Does anyone have any recommendations on an exceptional Calc of Variations text or other resource? The few I've been able to preview at amazon.com didn't impress me. Any recommendations would be appreciated.

jf

Physics news on Phys.org
Thanks robphy.

I was just looking to go a little deeper than I've been exposed to through introductory Classical Mechanics. I've never just studied Calc of Var itself - just through other textbooks on physics and PDEs.

jf

Hey - the book "The Variational Principles of Mechanics" looks exceptional! Read through the preview and reader reviews. Looks like just what I need - a change in perspective. I ordered it. Thanks again for the tip robphy.

jf

I believe that Dover has another book on the variational calculus. I can't remember the name of it offhand.

Brian_C said:
I believe that Dover has another book on the variational calculus. I can't remember the name of it offhand.

It's "Calculus of Variations" by I.M. Gelfand and S.V. Fomin. It's translated from Russian by Richard Silverman. I've only briefly read through the first few pages but it seems pretty good. I can't get my head out of that Cornelius Lanczos book, "The Variational Principles of Mechanics". That book is amazing!

[I wonder if there's an english translation of Lagrange's "Mécanique Analytique"?]

jf

jackiefrost said:
It's "Calculus of Variations" by I.M. Gelfand and S.V. Fomin. It's translated from Russian by Richard Silverman. I've only briefly read through the first few pages but it seems pretty good. I can't get my head out of that Cornelius Lanczos book, "The Variational Principles of Mechanics". That book is amazing!

[I wonder if there's an english translation of Lagrange's "Mécanique Analytique"?]

jf

Glad you are enjoying Lanczos' book.

Concerning Lagrange
(http://books.google.com/books?id=HTEVAAAAQAAJ
http://books.google.com/books?id=MTEVAAAAQAAJ http://books.google.com/books?id=QDEVAAAAQAAJ )...
here is a translation...
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0792343492/?tag=pfamazon01-20
http://www.worldcat.org/oclc/35919397

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Robphy. I wish I knew French. The $300 price tag is prohibitive - especially coupled with the poor reviews concerning the errors it supposedly contains.

The Lanczos book is opening new vistas for me. I'm also gaining a much deeper appreciation for Lagrange's amazing insights. Looking forward to digging into Jacobi and Hamilton. I have some questions but I'll save them for a while. It seems some of my questions have been getting answered as I progress in that book or switch back and forth with Dare Wells' "Theory and Problems in Lagrangian Dynamics" (Schaums outline). Even Goldstein's text makes more sense now. I owe you a big one for that recommendation!

jf

The current Dover catalog lists 5 book on the Calculus of Variations. You can find them listed on their website: http://www.doverpublications.com

Variational Principles by B. L. Moiseiwitsch (available from Dover) is good as are the other books mentioned by previous posters.

1. What is Calculus of Variations?

Calculus of Variations is a mathematical discipline that deals with finding the optimal solution to a functional, which is a mathematical expression involving a function or a set of functions.

2. What are some real-world applications of Calculus of Variations?

Calculus of Variations has many practical applications in physics, engineering, economics, and other fields. Some examples include finding the shortest path between two points, determining the optimal shape for a structure, and minimizing energy consumption in a system.

3. What are some resources for learning Calculus of Variations?

There are many resources available for learning Calculus of Variations, including textbooks, online courses, and video tutorials. Some popular textbooks include "Calculus of Variations" by Robert Weinstock and "Calculus of Variations: With Applications to Physics and Engineering" by Robert Weinstock. Additionally, there are many free online resources such as lecture notes, practice problems, and video lectures.

4. What are some important concepts in Calculus of Variations?

Some key concepts in Calculus of Variations include the Euler-Lagrange equation, the principle of least action, and the variational derivative. These concepts are essential for solving problems in the field and understanding the underlying principles of the subject.

5. How can I apply Calculus of Variations in my own research or projects?

If you are interested in applying Calculus of Variations to your research or projects, it is important to have a strong understanding of the subject and its applications. You can start by studying the basic concepts, practicing with problems, and then exploring more advanced topics. Additionally, it may be helpful to collaborate with experts in the field or attend workshops and conferences to learn from others' experiences.