Resolving Forces: F/cos(fi) & Ftan(fi) Explained

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem with finding the vertical and horizontal reaction forces in an image. The solution is to use trigonometric principles, specifically resolving forces vertically and horizontally. The unknown vertical force is found to be F/cosφ, while the unknown horizontal force is found to be Ftanφ. The conversation ends with the problem being solved and the participants celebrating their success.
skaboy607
Hi,

Attached is a link to an image:

http://i423.photobucket.com/albums/pp315/skaboy607/Image.jpg

Probably a very easy question but I can't work out how they get the vertical and horizontal reaction forces to be F/cos(fi) and Ftan(fi). Any help would be most appreciated.

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
skaboy607 said:
I can't work out how they get the vertical and horizontal reaction forces to be F/cos(fi) and Ftan(fi).

Hi skaboy607! :smile:

(have a phi: φ :wink:)

I assume there's no friction at the top, so taking vertical components (assuming there's no acceleration) should give you an almost-vertical force of F/cosφ :wink:

Hi,

Thanks for the phi φ!

When I take vertical forces I get Fcosφ. Not F/cosφ . And I have no idea where the Ftanφ comes from.

Thanks for your help.

skaboy607 said:
When I take vertical forces I get Fcosφ. Not F/cosφ

No … if the unknown force is G, vertical components give you F = Gcosφ :wink:

oooooooooohhhhhhhhhhhh. Thanks! Just confused me because they used the same F. Any ideas on the Ftanφ.

Thanks

skaboy607 said:
Any ideas on the Ftanφ.

erm … I was going to ask you that! :wink:

(probably got something to do with resolving horizontally :rolleyes:)

(btw, is the bottom fixed?)

oh I don't know, it is the horizontal force but how they got to that i don't know. I'm thinking along the lines sin/cos=tan?

Yea point Q doesn't move.

Hint: what is the horizontal component of the F/cosφ force?

Sorted-think I've got it. Horizontal component of F/cosφ force (F/cosφ)(sinφ) which is equal to Ftanφ!

:biggrin: Woohoo! :biggrin:

1. What is the formula for resolving forces using F/cos(fi)?

The formula for resolving forces using F/cos(fi) is the force (F) divided by the cosine of the angle (fi) between the force vector and the horizontal axis.

2. How is Ftan(fi) used to resolve forces?

Ftan(fi) is used to resolve forces by finding the tangent of the angle (fi) between the force vector and the horizontal axis, and then multiplying it by the force (F).

3. When is it necessary to use F/cos(fi) instead of Ftan(fi) to resolve forces?

F/cos(fi) is used when the given angle (fi) is between the force vector and the horizontal axis. It is necessary to use this formula when the force is acting at an angle other than 90 degrees to the horizontal axis.

4. How can resolving forces using F/cos(fi) and Ftan(fi) be applied in real-life situations?

Resolving forces using F/cos(fi) and Ftan(fi) can be applied in various real-life situations, such as analyzing the forces acting on a bridge or determining the force needed to move an object on an inclined plane. It is also commonly used in engineering and construction to calculate the stability and strength of structures.

5. What are some common mistakes to avoid when using these formulas to resolve forces?

Some common mistakes to avoid when using these formulas include forgetting to convert angles to radians, using the wrong angle in the calculation, and not considering the direction of the force vector. It is also important to remember to use the correct trigonometric function (cosine or tangent) based on the given angle.