Linear Algebra true/false explanation.

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of finding two two-dimensional subspaces S and T of R3 that intersect at only the origin, represented by the symbol ∩. It is determined that this is not possible, as two planes in R3 cannot intersect at only the origin.
A_lilah
Linear Algebra true/false explanation. :)

Homework Statement

True or False:
Is it possible to find a pair of two-dimensional subspaces S and T of R3 such that S (upside down U) = {0} ?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

My understanding: upside down U = intersection, and for S to intersect T, S must have some vectors that are linear combinations of the vectors of T (and vice versa). These combinations have to = 0... and that's all I've got. I've sifted through my notes and the textbook several times, and the only other thing I could come up with that may or may not be useful (I haven't connected the dots yet), is that:
Def: the vectors v1, v2,...,vn in a vector space V are said to be linearly independent if
c1v1+c2v2+...+cnvn = 0
which implies that all the scalars c1...cn must equal zero

(the answer in the back of the book says that the answer is false, which is why I was looking at linear independence.)
Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org

Think about the geometry of your problem. S and T are both two-dimensional subspaces of R^3, which means that both (S and T) are planes that contain the origin. Is it possible to have two planes in R^3, both containing the origin, that intersect at no other points?

No. So does = {0} mean they only contain the origin then?

Yes, {x} means a set that contains only the single member x. Surely you knew that?

1. Is linear algebra only used in mathematics?

No, linear algebra is a widely applicable mathematical tool that is used in various fields such as computer science, physics, engineering, and economics.

2. Is it true that row operations in linear algebra can change the solutions of a system of equations?

Yes, row operations such as multiplying a row by a constant or adding a multiple of one row to another can change the solutions of a system of equations. However, these operations do not change the set of solutions, they only change the representation of the solutions.

3. Can a matrix have more columns than rows?

Yes, a matrix can have any number of rows and columns. The number of rows and columns in a matrix is called its dimensions. A matrix with more columns than rows is called a wide matrix.

4. Is the inverse of a matrix always unique?

No, the inverse of a matrix is only unique if the matrix is square and has a non-zero determinant. If a matrix is not square or has a zero determinant, it does not have an inverse.

5. Is the determinant of a matrix always equal to its trace?

No, the determinant of a matrix is not always equal to its trace. The trace of a square matrix is the sum of its diagonal entries, while the determinant is a scalar value that describes the scaling factor of the transformation represented by the matrix.