Latex roman numeral for pages ONLY on Table of Contents page

In summary, the purpose of using a latex roman numeral for pages only on the Table of Contents page is to differentiate the page numbering style from the rest of the document. To add a latex roman numeral for pages only on the Table of Contents page, you can use the \pagenumbering{roman} command before the \tableofcontents command. This will change the page numbering style to roman numerals for the Table of Contents page only. You can also use a different numbering style for the rest of your document by using the \pagenumbering{arabic} command. The latex roman numeral for pages only on the Table of Contents page will not affect the page numbers for your other sections. You can customize the appearance of the latex roman
Minda
Does anyone know how to have latex do roman numerals on only certain pages - I want the table of contents to have roman numerals and the rest of the document to have numbers. But when I try to change the Table of contents page it changes it for all the pages.

Thanks for any help you can give,

-Minda

Physics news on Phys.org
\pagenumbering{roman}
\toc
...more stuff if you want...

\pagenumbering{arabic}
Rest of the paper.

Hello Minda,

Thank you for your question. It is possible to have LaTeX use roman numerals for only certain pages, such as the Table of Contents page. To do this, you can use the command \pagenumbering{roman} before the Table of Contents and then use \pagenumbering{arabic} after the Table of Contents to switch back to regular numbers. This will ensure that only the Table of Contents page has roman numerals while the rest of the document has regular numbers.

I hope this helps. If you have any further questions, please feel free to ask. Best of luck with your document!

Sincerely,

1. What is the purpose of using a latex roman numeral for pages only on the Table of Contents page?

The purpose of using a latex roman numeral for pages only on the Table of Contents page is to differentiate the page numbering style from the rest of the document. This helps to clearly identify the Table of Contents page and make it stand out to readers.

2. How do I add a latex roman numeral for pages only on the Table of Contents page in my document?

To add a latex roman numeral for pages only on the Table of Contents page, you can use the \pagenumbering{roman} command before the \tableofcontents command. This will change the page numbering style to roman numerals for the Table of Contents page only.

3. Can I use a different numbering style for the rest of my document?

Yes, you can use a different numbering style for the rest of your document. After the \tableofcontents command, you can use the \pagenumbering{arabic} command to switch back to regular arabic numerals for the rest of the document.

4. Will the latex roman numeral for pages only on the Table of Contents page affect the page numbers for my other sections?

No, the latex roman numeral for pages only on the Table of Contents page will not affect the page numbers for your other sections. It will only apply to the Table of Contents page and will not change the page numbering style for the rest of the document.

5. Can I customize the appearance of the latex roman numeral for pages only on the Table of Contents page?

Yes, you can customize the appearance of the latex roman numeral for pages only on the Table of Contents page. This can be done by using the \renewcommand{\thepage}{\roman{page}} command to change the formatting of the roman numerals. You can also adjust the font, size, and position of the page numbers by using the \fancyhead and \fancyfoot commands.